Jameel Warney waived by Mavericks one day after signing deal

Stony Brook Men’s Basketball alumnus Jameel Warney poses for a headshot for the Texas Legends NBA D-League. Warney was waived from the Dallas Mavericks on Saturday after being signed the previous day. PHOTO COURTESY OF NBA E/GETTY IMAGES

Jameel Warney, Stony Brook Basketball’s all-time leader in points scored and games played, was waived by the Dallas Mavericks on Saturday. Warney had been signed by the team just one day before.

The former Seawolves power forward was brought up to the Mavericks from the Texas Legends, the team’s G-League affiliate, after the Dallas team requested waivers on fellow forward Brendan Ashley. The Mavs also waived point guard Maalik Wayns and shooting guard P.J. Dozier on Saturday to cut their roster down ahead of the regular season.

The Mavs roster is now down to 17 players, the maximum the team may have for the regular season under the current collective bargaining agreement. Two of the Mavericks’ players must be signed to two-way contracts which will allow them to spend no more than 45 days with Dallas before returning to the G-League.

The Mavericks have already signed forward Johnathan Motley to a two-way contract. After some speculation that Warney’s NBA call-up meant he would be the team’s final two-way player, the power forward now looks set to start the season with the Legends.

Warney’s first season in the G-League netted the forward 17.3 points, the fourth-best average on the team, and 8.0 total rebounds per game, the third-highest rebound average, in 44 total appearances while starting 34 games. Following the season’s conclusion, Warney spent time as a member of the Los Angeles Clippers and Mavericks in the NBA Summer League before suiting up for Team USA in the FIBA AmeriCup under head coach Jeff van Gundy.

Warney’s performance in South America helped propel Team USA to a gold medal in the competition. The forward averaged 12.8 points and 8.6 rebounds in five AmeriCup games on his way to earning MVP honors for the tournament.

The Texas Legends will begin their campaign on the road against the Austin Spurs on Saturday, Nov. 4 at 7 p.m..