Women’s basketball loses to Hofstra

The Stony Brook women’s basketball team (1-2) lost to Hofstra University (2-1) this Thursday, 84-72.

After allowing an 18-point run in the opening five minutes, the Seawolves struggled, never getting within six points of the lead.

Coach Michele Cherry attributed the sloppy start to the Pride’s defense.

“They played good defense and for whatever reason we were amped, we dribbled too much, and they came out very aggressive.”

The Pride was up 8-0 when sophomore Sam Landers (Springfield, V.A.) scored a three-pointer for the first Stony Brook basket. Landers, who went on to score 11 points, had to replace senior Misha Horsey (Wyncote, P.A.) after she went down with a knee injury with 2.8 seconds left in the first half.

Sophomore Talisha Bridges (Kalamazoo, Mich.) followed Landers’ three with a layup, but the Pride fought back, scoring sixteen points while the Seawolves slowly chipped away at the score with a series of foul shots and layups.

With 9:37 left in the half, senior Jodie Plikus (Waterford, Conn.) hit three three-pointers to start a 15-2 Seawolf rally that cut the game to within 5 points.

“We were able to run, we were able to get out [ahead] in transition a little bit … it was a combination of things,” Coach Cherry said. “We were able to get out and run, we got some good looks.”

Despite this, the Seawolves trailed 38-32 at the half.

The Pride started widening their lead in the second half, running a full court man-to-man press after every scored basket.

They led 52-41 with 12:47 left in the half when an intentional foul was called on sophomore Amanda Corona (North Hollywood, Calif.). Marie Malone scored both of Hostra’s free throws, and a three pointer by Hofstra’s Nicole Capurso gave the Pride a 57-41 lead on the five point play.

The Seawolves fought back, going on a 15-point scoring spree.

However, they were matched with the Pride, who went on an 11-point run on the opposite side.

With 4:44 left, a technical foul was called on senior Kirsten Jeter (Elmont, N.Y.), who subsequently fouled out of the game. Marie Malone scored both baskets, helping the Pride shoot 30 for 37 from the free throw line.

Although the Seawolves cut the lead to seven points with 57 seconds left, they could not hold Hofstra, who breezed to the win after that.

Plikus led the Seawolves with 14 points and Corona had a career-high 13.

Junior Destiny Jacobs (Glen Burnie, Minn.) led the defense with eight rebounds.

Stony Brook will take on Nicholls State next Wednesday, November 24, at Pritchard Gymnasium.

Tip-off is at 4 p.m.