Volleyball edged by Binghamton

Red-shirt junior outside hitter Emily Costello jumps to hit the ball in a game against UMBC. Despite Costello’s three aces, Stony Brook lost to Binghamton on Friday, Oct. 13. SAMANTHA MONTES/THE STATESMAN

Tied 2-2 headed into the fifth set, the Stony Brook volleyball team sought to secure an away win at the West Gym in Binghamton, New York. Redshirt-junior outside hitter Emily Costello scored her third ace of the game, giving the Seawolves an early 6-2 lead in the decisive set.

However, the Seawolves were unable to hold onto the lead. Binghamton scored five straight on its way to winning the set 15-12 and the match 3-2.

“This match was an absolute battle,” head coach Kristin Belzung said in a press release. “Both teams played well tonight. It was very clean offensively and it came down to who could make plays at the end. Unfortunately that wasn’t us, but I’m proud of our fight.”

Both teams started the match strong, with neither side having the clear advantage. After a 10-all set, Binghamton capitalized off three aces and Stony Brook errors to go on a 9-4 run. Despite a late surge by the Seawolves, the Bearcats were still able to hold on to win the first set 25-22.

Though they lost the opening set, the momentum the Seawolves gained at the end carried them to a dominant second set. A strong kill by sophomore outside hitter Maria Poole gave the team a lead they would not relinquish the rest of the set, ultimately winning 25-16.

The momentum shifted again, as the Bearcats returned to form in the third set. Led by junior outside hitter Gabby Alicea, who leads the America East with 238 kills this season, Binghamton had 17 points off kills to win the set 25-15.

Down 2-1 in the fourth set, the Seawolves bounced back, taking a 6-2 lead early on in the set. Up 24-20, sophomore setter Carla Souffront found a gap on the Bearcats’ side of the court, firing an ace to win the game. However, the team was unable to match the same energy in the final set. 

Stony Brook will look to win as they continue their road series on Sunday, Oct. 15 at 2 p.m. against Albany.