Stony Brook Tennis has impressive showing at MVC Championships

Senior Elizabeth Tsvetkov goes to hit the ball in a game during the 2016 season. Tsvetkov went undefeated in the singles bracket at the Missouri Valley Championships this past weekend. KRYSTEN MASSA/STATESMAN FILE

The Stony Brook tennis team headed down to Normal, Illinois for the Missouri Valley Championships over the weekend as their fall season starts to wrap up. With nine teams in the MVC conference, the Seawolves looked to leave the tournament on a high note.

Senior Elizabeth Tsvetkov and sophomore Amanda Foo both took first place in their respective singles brackets without losing a single game, while the doubles team of junior Ana Rodriguez and freshman Elizabeth Pam came in second place in their doubles bracket.

“The Missouri Valley Conference and Illinois State ran a real first class event,” head coach Gary Glassman said in a press release. “This tournament gave our squad a first-hand look at what we will be up against in April. We were a little up and down over the weekend, but we finished very strong. I’m very pleased with how Liz and Amanda won their respective draws. The three freshmen also rebounded really well today and that bodes well as we move forward with our season.”

Foo had to face a friendly foe in order to take first place. In flight seven, the bracket that she won, she faced teammate and junior Anne-Kathrin Hierl, who Foo went on to beat in straight sets. Tsvetkov, on the other hand, dismantled each opponent she faced on her way to a 6-4, 6-4 finals victory over Illinois State redshirt junior Veronika Golanova.

In other singles competition, freshman Maria Ribeiro, freshman Nolwenn Cardoso and Pam all finished in third place of their respective brackets.

In doubles play, Pam and Rodriguez faced off against Drake University junior Joely Lomas and senior Mela Jaglarz before falling in the finals of flight two by an 8-6 score. Elsewhere, Tsvetkov and Cardoso placed third in flight two, while junior Ester Chikvashvili and Riberio took fifth place in flight one.

The tennis team will conclude its fall season when they travel to the ITA Regionals in Philadelphia. The tournament will last from Oct. 18 to Oct. 22.