Ben Resner, former Stony Brook Men’s Basketball player, joins Greensboro Swarm coaching staff

Ben Resner (background, middle) recently accepted a coaching position with the Greensboro Swarm. NINA LIN/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook Men’s Basketball alum Ben Resner is joining the coaching staff of the NBA’s Charlotte Hornets’ G-League affiliate, the Greensboro Swarm. He shared the announcement in a tweet Monday afternoon.

Renser was a part of the Seawolves’ roster from 2011-14, under then-head coach Steve Pikiell. Although he averaged less than one point per game and three minutes during his time with the team, he has other aspirations as a professional. He told Pikiell before he graduated that he wanted to be a head coach.

After graduating Stony Brook with a degree in liberal arts in 2014, he spent just over two years as a part of the Cleveland Cavaliers’ G-League affiliate, the Canton Charge. In October 2014, he joined the Charge as a seasonal basketball operations assistant until September 2015, when he joined the Charge full time as an assistant coach.

Resner joined the Cavaliers in Las Vegas to be an assistant coach of the Summer League team in June 2016 after 10 months as an assistant coach. The team ended up losing to the Chicago Bulls summer league team 85-79 in the tournament semifinals.

He left the Cavaliers organization after the Summer League to join the newly formed Cape Breton Highlanders of the Canadian National Basketball League, as an assistant coach. After the previous head coach was released midway through the season, he took over as acting head coach. He coached the team to a 15-25 record and finished last in the Atlantic Division.

Despite his announcement of joining the Swarm, the specific role he will take on in head coach’s Noel Gillespie’s staff remains unclear.