Tsvetkov, Chikvashvili Sisters stand out at ITA, Brown Invitational

Senior Elizabeth Tsvetkov, above, in a match in 2016. Tsvetkov advanced to the quarterfinals in mixed doubles during the Oracle ITA Masters in California. KRYSTEN MASSA/STATESMAN FILE

Stony Brook Tennis players competed in two tournaments this past weekend, plying their skills at the Brown Invitational and the Oracle ITA Masters to mixed results.

“It was a tough weekend for our squad against some high-level competition,” head coach Gary Glassman said in a press release. “We certainly have plenty of things to focus on in preparation for the MVC Individual Championship in a couple of weeks.”

Stony Brook opened their tournament run against Rutgers on Friday. Three doubles matches netted the Seawolves one victory, a straight-set win by junior Ester Chikvashvili and freshman Maria Ribeiro over Scarlet Knight seniors Mingxiu Du and Chloe Lee.

Chikvashvili also won her singles match later in the day, beating out Du 6-2, 6-4. She gave Stony Brook one of its two wins in eight singles matches, while her sister, sophomore Stephanie Chikvashvili, beat out senior Lee Levy in a three-set contest. The younger Chikvashvili dropped her first set 7-6, but rebounded to take sets two and three by the score of 7-5 and 10-5 respectively.

The Seawolves faced off against UMass on day two, dropping each doubles match they played while winning just one singles match. Stony Brook’s lone victory on the day came from Stephanie Chikvashvili, who again took two of three sets against sophomore Ashley Avery.

Stony Brook faced off against Brown on the final day, dropping every doubles match for the second day in a row. Like Saturday’s match against UMass, Stony Brook lost all but one singles match against the Bears. Freshman Nolwenn Cardoso won both sets against freshman Peri Sheinin, winning 6-1 and 7-5.

While most of the team spent the weekend in Rhode Island, the team sent a lone representative to California for the Oracle ITA Masters.

Competing as the 26th seed, senior Elizabeth Tsvetkov lost her opening singles match against freshman Veronica Miroshnichenko of Loyola Marymount. After dropping the first two sets 6-1, Tsvetkov fought hard against her seventh-seeded opponent before losing the final set 6-4.

Tsvetkov fared far better in mixed doubles, advancing to the quarterfinals while playing alongside Drake University junior Vinny Gillespie. The pair won their first two matches 6-4 before being bounced 6-4 by Ivy League duo Kristina Mathis, a senior from Dartmouth, and junior Victor Pham, from Columbia.

Stony Brook will take the court next at the MVC Individual Championships in Normal, Illinois, from Oct. 7-9.