Van Dalens lead XC to second place at NCAA regionals

Lucy and Holly Van Dalen (Waganui, New Zealand) finished first and second again this Saturday to help the Stony Brook women’s cross country team take second place at the NCAA Northeast Regional Championships. Four of the women finished  in the top ten, just five points behind Syracuse’s winning team. Lucy finished first in 19:38.4. She has won each of the four meets she’s raced in this season.

Holly finished in 19:42, a close second. Sophomore Annie Keown (Auckland, New Zealand) finished eighth in 20:19.6. Junior Hayley Green (Wellington, New Zealand) finished tenth in 20:22.8.

“I am thrilled with the effort all seven ladies put out today,” head coach Andy Ronan said in a press release.

By finishing second, the Seawolves automatically qualify for the National Championships on November 22 at Indiana State.

“To get an automatic qualifying spot will allow us to sleep well tonight, not having to wait on an at-large berth,” Ronan said. “Lucy and Holly were once again at the top of their game, and now head to the national meet as potential top 10 finishers.”

This will be the third time in four years that the Seawolves have competed at the National Championships.