Women’s Soccer falls 1-0 in America East opener

Junior forward Julie Johnstonbaugh (above, left) in a games against Hofstra on Sept. 14. Johnstonbaugh led the Seawolves offense with three shots on goal against Maine on Sunday. ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN

After scoring 10 goals in the last two games, the Stony Brook women’s soccer team was unable to find the back of the net and fell to the Maine Black Bears 1-0 in conference play Sunday afternoon.

“The performance was ok, it wasn’t good enough,” head coach Brendan Faherty said. “I thought Maine was really organized defensively. They got us outnumbered behind the ball; at times we played well but I thought we could have been a little bit more patient on the ball. Our decision making in the final third could have been a little better.I think we were a team that at times played really well today. We have to do better in finishing our chances when we create them.”

The game’s sole goal was made in the 50th minute. After a pass on the right flank from sophomore midfielder Emilie Andersen, sophomore defender Priscilla Domingo connected with the ball in the middle of the box, finding its way past Stony Brook’s freshman goalkeeper Sofia Manner. The goal was Domingo’s first of her collegiate career.

The Seawolves were in control throughout much of the game, generating 20 shot attempts and eight shots on goal, significantly more than the Black Bears, but were unable to capitalize on their shot attempts.

“I think we are a team that wants to keep the ball as much as we can. But I feel like we could have been a little bit more dangerous with our possession,” said Faherty. “I felt like we were a little bit too happy to go around one flank instead of looking to play more central. I thought for large stretches of the game we were the better team but we didn’t score a goal in those moments.”

Senior midfielder Samantha Goodwin, freshman forward Alyssa Francese and junior forward Julie Johnstonbaugh attempted four shots each throughout the game. Johnstonbaugh led the team with three shots on goal.

“I thought Julie did some good things today. She was able to provide us with a big spark off the bench,” Faherty said. “I thought she played better as the game went on.”

This was the first of eight America East conference games the Seawolves have played. Future teams Stony Brook faces in America East action include Albany, UMBC and New Hampshire.

“As we move forward, we have got to do a better job of limiting the other team’s chances and also finishing the chances that we create,” Faherty said on the importance of the team coming together for conference play.

The Seawolves are 0-1 in conference play and 4-7 overall. The team will look to improve their record when they return home for more conference action to face UMass Lowell on Thursday, Sept. 28 at 7 p.m. at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium.