Men’s Soccer loses in close battle with No. 16 Georgetown

Senior forward Akeem Morris in a game against Seton Hall on Sept. 1. Although Morris scored first against Georgetown, Stony Brook lost its lead and the Seawolves fell to the Hoyas 3-2. GARY GHAYRAT/THE STATESMAN

The Stony Brook men’s soccer team and No. 16ranked Georgetown went to overtime on Wednesday, but after Stony Brook had a 2-0 lead with over 25 minutes left to play, Georgetown scored three unanswered goals, taking down the Seawolves 3-2 at Shaw Field in Washington, D.C..

After giving up a goal with two minutes left to go in the second half, Georgetown junior defender Peter Schropp found himself with the ball after junior midfielder Edson Martinez played into a crowded Seawolves box. Schropp scored the game-winning goal in the golden goal. 

Stony Brook played a majority of the game with a counter-attack mentality. The team would park the bus on defense, not pressuring Georgetown until they pressed into Stony Brook’s defensive third of the field. When the Seawolves won the ball, they used their speed and strength to create multiple opportunities.

Two of those opportunities resulted in goals, and senior forward Akeem Morris was the Seawolf to break the 0-0 tie 25 minutes into the game. Morris scored his first career goal after tearing a shot from the top of the 18-yard box, the ball curving into the far post and past Hoya’s junior goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski for the early 1-0 lead.

Graduate defender Eric McKenna scored the second goal for Stony Brook with a header in the 64th minute. The defender headed the ball off a corner kick from junior midfielder Serge Gamwanya, where it ended up in the hands of Georgetown’s Marcinkowski. The speed of the header made him lose control of the ball and it rolled into the net for a 2-0 Stony Brook lead. 

Despite the Seawolves having a lead over the Hoyas for a majority of the game, the Hoyas stormed back on the offensive end. They outshot the Seawolves 22-7, having a 7-4 advantage with shots on goal. Georgetown also took seven corner kicks while Stony Brook only took four.

It took three minutes after McKenna’s goal for the Hoyas to begin their comeback. Freshman midfielder Foster McCune crossed the ball into the box, but Seawolves sophomore goalkeeper Jacob Braham lost the ball in the sun. The rest of the team saw the ball hit into the top left corner and cut their lead to 2-1.

The game-tying goal for Georgetown came off the foot of senior forward Zach Knudson. A scramble in Stony Brook’s box resulted in the ball being ricocheted back and forth between both teams. A shot was taken and Braham made the save, but was unable to grab onto the ball. Like Stony Brook’s second goal, the ball slowly rolled toward the net, but Knudson ran in and hammered it in for the 2-2 tie.

The 3-2 loss at the hands of the 16th-ranked Hoyas marks the end of the five-game unbeaten streak for the Seawolves. Their season record sits at 5-2-1.