Seawolves win fifth straight in five set thriller

Sophomore outside hitter Jordan Gels (No. 6, above) jumps to spike the ball in a game against Hofstra on Sept. 5, 2016. Gels delivered two kills during the fifth set, sealing the game after a costly mistake from St. John’s. ERIC SCHMID/STATESMAN FILE

The Stony Brook women’s volleyball team extended its winning streak to five straight matches, defeating St. John’s 3-2 in a five-set thriller on Tuesday night. The streak is the team’s longest since the 2014 season. 

St. John’s was one point away from winning the match on two occasions towards the end of the game, but were unable to capitalize. Stony Brook’s senior middle blocker Cydney Bowman came in clutch, tying the game up on both instances with two of her many kills. Bowman and sophomore outside hitter Jordan Gels led the Seawolves with a season-high 16 kills.

After dropping the first set by a score of 25-21, Stony Brook bounced right back to claim the second set in a neck-and-neck battle that had sixteen ties before the Seawolves were eventually able to pull away. Stony Brook then dominated the third set, 25-17, taking a 2-1 lead.

The Red Storm struck back by taking the fourth set, evening the game at two apiece. This gave way to an exciting fifth set, a back-and-forth battle between the two squads with Stony Brook coming out on top. The Seawolves won 19-17 after an attack error by Red Storm freshman outside hitter Jordan McCalla. Gels was a big factor in the fifth set, delivering two kills late in the game before St. Johns’ costly error sealed the deal for Stony Brook.

The team seems to be in some sort of groove, winning nine of its last twelve games and now have a 9-6 overall record, surpassing its eight wins from last season. Stony Brook will begin its conference schedule on Friday in the Pritchard Gymnasium when it hosts Hartford. The team’s first conference game of the season begins at 6:30 p.m..