USG Launches ALLOCATE

The days of making a mad dash to the Undergraduate Student Government office to hand in vouchers will be coming to an end.

The Undergraduate Student Government, or USG, officially launched its new electronic system, ALLOCATE, on Nov. 1, inviting all clubs to take full advantage of the student-built website.

The website, set up by USG Executive Vice President Alexander Dimitriyadi and Director of the USG Office of Web Technology Ken Colton allows executive board members to submit vouchers and track the process as the voucher goes through the treasurer, the faculty student association and other administrative checkpoints.

“Most college students that I know are in classes, or some of them don’t get up until 11 a.m. anyway, and we just aren’t that conducive to a student friendly environment,”  Dimitriyadi said. “So they can go online and create the voucher at anytime.”

Executive board members can sign into ALLOCATE with their Net I.D. and record the club’s meeting and state all members who were in attendance. ALLOCATE then sends an email to all of the listed members asking them to verify the record. Twenty-five percent of those members are required to confirm the email in order for the voucher to be reviewed by USG.

Voting members also have the opportunity to report records as unverifiable. With just one click, they can send the message to Allocate to flag incorrect vouchers.

“Adding members is easy but time consuming,” said Kim Caracciolo, secretary of the Animated Perspectives club. “When you have a few hundred members registered, and 30 to 70 members at any one given meeting, it gets hard to type everything in over again, instead of giving it to each member to simply sign.”

Since USG funds approximately 160 on-campus clubs, Dimitriyadi hopes that ALLOCATE will help eliminate misplaced vouchers and smooth out the entire process.

“While the paper system had its flaws, it was easier to use and better for a larger club like ours,” insisted Caracciolo.

“We weren’t going to be able to catch everything so at some point we had to just launch it, so we did,” Dimitriyadi said. “There are a couple of things that people are saying they need so we’re trying to rush and get all those things done.”

There is also talk of making the vouchers and spending records public information in months to come.

“The records should be public,” Vhenise Elliott, a senior, said. “The student activities fee we pay every semester is the same money that they use. So, just as tax payers have the right to know how the state uses their money, we have the same right as students.”