College Football Preview: Stony Brook vs. Gardner-Webb

Coming off their third straight victory, the Seawolves are looking to go 5-0 in the Big South for the first time as they host Gardner-Webb this week in the final home game of the season. Stony Brook (5-4, 4-0) defeated Presbyterian 37-7 on Saturday.

Michael Coulter (Yorba Linda, Calif.) had his best game of the season, passing for 212 yards and a career high four touchdowns. Sophomore Miguel Maysonet (Riverhead, N.Y.) ran for 130 yards on 20 carries, surpassing 1,000 yards for the season. Junior Brock Jackolski (Shirley, N.Y.) contributed as well, rushing for 101 yards to give Stony Brook two 100-yard rushers for the third time this season.

The Seawolves outgained the Blue Hose 508-176. It was their third straight game with at least five touchdowns. They are tied with Liberty at the top of the conference.

The Runnin’ Bulldogs (3-6, 1-3) lost to Liberty, 40-14, on Saturday, their third loss in a row. Quarterback John Rock accounted for both touchdowns, passing for one and rushing for another. He has passed for 1,127 yards and seven touchdowns on the season, but he has also thrown 10 interceptions.

Despite being slowed by injuries throughout the season, GWU still ranks 17th in the nation in total defense and ninth in pass defense and has not allowed a team to reach 250 yards passing this season. Stony Brook head coach Chuck Priore said he expects them to present a challenge for the Seawolves.

“They’re a good football team, but they’ve had some tough injuries this season,” he said. “They still have a great defense, so they’ll come ready to play.”

This will be the third meeting for these two teams; the series is tied 1-1. Last year, Stony Brook scored 17 unanswered points and shut out Gardner-Webb in the second half to win 24-14.

This will be the final home game of the season for the Seawolves. Stony Brook will be celebrating Fan Appreciation Day as well as Commuter Student Day.

“We appreciate their support,” Priore said of the fans. “Hopefully we’ll be able to give them a good conclusion on Saturday.”

Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.