Women’s Basketball announces 2017-18 schedule

Women’s Basketball head coach Caroline McCombs will be entering her fourth season with the Seawolves this upcoming November. The 2017-2018 season will be a defining one for the team after losing key players this past year. PHOTO COURTESY OF STONY BROOK ATHLETICS

Stony Brook Women’s Basketball announced its complete schedule for the 2017-18 season on Monday, after previously announcing the team’s conference schedule. The schedule announcement included five previously unconfirmed non-conference matchups.

The Seawolves will begin the season on Nov. 11 against Manhattan at Island Federal Credit Union Arena. Eight of their 13 non-conference are on the road, including matchups with Hofstra (Nov. 14), Syracuse (Dec. 3) and Northwestern (Dec. 10).

On New Year’s Eve, Stony Brook will finish its non-conference schedule at Harvard before traveling to Maine on Jan. 3 for the team’s conference-opener. Five of the Seawolves next six games will be at home, but only three of the final nine games will be at IFCU Arena.

The 2017-18 season will be a defining one for Stony Brook head coach Caroline McCombs, who will be entering her fourth season. After two 17-win seasons, the Seawolves finished 12-18 in 2016-17 and lost several key players.

In the spring, then-sophomore guard and the team’s top-scorer Davion Wingate transferred out of the program and ended up at Florida Gulf Coast University. Kori Bayne-Walker, the program’s leader in career assists, graduated. The team’s leading rebounder last season, Christa Scognamiglio, also graduated.

Syracuse and America East rival Albany (Jan. 10 & Jan. 27) are the only two teams on Stony Brook’s schedule to play in the NCAA Tournament last spring. The Great Danes, a 16-seed, lost in the first round to one-seed and eventual Final Four team UConn. The Huskies then beat the eight-seed Syracuse in the second round.

America East conference opponent New Hampshire (Jan. 21 & Feb. 17) and Harvard (Dec. 31) played in the Women’s National Invitation Tournament last spring.

The America East conference tournament will begin on Feb. 27 and feature all nine teams. The eighth and ninth seeds will compete in a play-in game that will qualify the winner for the quarterfinals and semifinals on March 3 and 4, respectively. The games, hosted in Portland, Maine, will decide the two championship contenders who play for the conference title on March 9 at the home site of the highest remaining seed.

Below is the complete schedule announced by Stony Brook on Monday.

NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

Nov. 11 vs. Manhattan

Nov. 14 at Hofstra

Nov. 19 at Fairleigh Dickinson

Nov. 22 vs. Farmingdale State

Nov. 26 vs. Wagner

Dec. 1 at Cornell

Dec. 3 at Syracuse

Dec. 6 vs. Yale

Dec. 10 at Northwestern

Dec. 14 vs. Iona

Dec. 17 vs. Central Connecticut

Dec. 21 vs. Georgia Southern

Dec. 31 vs. Harvard

CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

Jan. 3 at Maine

Jan. 6 vs. Hartford

Jan. 10 vs. Albany

Jan. 13 vs. Vermont

Jan. 18 at Binghamton

Jan. 21 vs. New Hampshire

Jan. 24 vs. UMass Lowell

Jan. 27 at Albany

Jan. 31 at UMBC

Feb. 3 at Hartford

Feb. 5 vs. Binghamton

Feb. 8 at UMass Lowell

Feb. 11 vs. Maine

Feb. 14 vs. UMBC

Feb. 17 at New Hampshire

Feb. 25 at Vermont