Football rocks Presbyterian

The Stony Brook football team is winner of three straight games, and junior quarterback Michael Coulter (Yorba Linda, Calif.) is one of the reasons why. Coulter threw a collegiate-high four touchdown passes as the Seawolves defeated Presbyterian 37-7. Stony Brooks is 4-0 in the Big South for the second consecutive season and 12-3 in Big South games all-time.

Coulter threw touchdowns of 7, 10, 23, and 48 and completed 12 of 20 passes for 212 yards. Two of those touchdowns went to Jordan Gush (Richardson, Texas). Coulter has thrown a touchdown in 15 of the last 16 games and has not thrown an interception in the last five games, which Stony Brook is 4-1 in.

Josh Dudash ’08 was the last Seawolf quarterback to throw at least four touchdowns in a game. He threw five against Robert Morris in 2005.

Sophomore Miguel Maysonet (Riverhead, N.Y.) rushed for 130 yards on 20 carries. Maysonet also surpassed 1,000 yards for the season, and scored his team-leading 11thtouchdown in the game. Stony Brook rushed for more than 200 yards for the sixth time this season, and had two 100-yard rushers for the third time this season. Stony Brook outgained Presbyterian 509-176 and handed the Blue Hose their eight lose of the season. The Seawolves also controlled the clock (35:22-24:38), and had 21 first downs as they improved to 5-4 and 4-0 in the Big South. This was the third straight game with at least five touchdowns for the Seawolves.

Stony Brook scored on their first drive of the second quarter. On third and 11 from the 50, Coulter found senior Michael Lepore (Brick, N.J.) for a gain of 10 yards. Coulter was able to pick up a first down to keep the drive going on a one-yard run. Gush caught a nine-yard pass from Coulter and Maysonet had a six-yard run to set up Gush’s second touchdown pass of the season.

Junior Brock Jackolski (Shirley, N.Y.), took the opening kick of the second half 63 yards to the Blue Hose 23. Jackolski is the Big South’s leader in all-purpose yards. On third and long Coulter found Lepore for a 10-yard gain, to set up a fourth and two. Maysonet was able to pick up the first down with a six-yard rush, and Coulter found Gush in the end zone for the second time of the game.

Stony Brook went up 16-0 after a bad Presbyterian snap on a punt went out of the end zone. Gush returned the kick 29 yards to the Blue Hose 48. Coulter found Lepore for a 48-yard touchdown on the first play of the drive. This touchdown was Lepore’s first in college, and the fifth time the Seawolves scored on the first play of a drive.

Gush went 23-yards for a touchdown to cap a Seawolf drive that went 65 yards in 6 plays.

Redshirt freshman Vincent Polo (Wantagh, N.Y.) also scored his first career touchdown when he ran 10 yards for a touchdown. Stony Brook gained the ball deep in Presbyterian territory following a blocked punt by junior Roosevelt Kirk (Oakland, Calif.).

Stony Brook will host Gardner-Webb in its final regular-season home game of the season at 1:00 on Saturday, November 13, 2010.