Preview: Stony Brook football at Presbyterian

The Seawolves (4-4, 3-0) are looking to continue their winning ways on Saturday as they travel to face Presbyterian. Stony Brook is coming off a dominating 41-21 victory over Charleston Southern. It is the Seawolves’ second straight year with a 3-0 record in the Big South Conference, and they are tied with Liberty for first place in the conference.

Last weekend, sophomore Miguel Maysonet (Riverhead, N.Y.) set a LaValle Stadium-record with four touchdowns. He totaled 195 yards, including 158 on the ground and became just the fourth player in school history to score four touchdowns in one game. Junior Brock Jackolski (Shirley, N.Y.) led the Seawolves with 183 yards on the ground and also added a score.

With star running back Edwin Gowins (Bellport, N.Y.) sidelined for the season with a groin injury, the two-headed monster of Maysonet and Jackolski has had no problems handling the load in his absence.

“They’ve done what I expected them to do from day one,” Head Coach Chuck Priore said. “They come in and work hard, they’re certainly talented kids.”

Quarterback Michael Coulter (Yorba Linda, Calif.) only threw 11 passes, but completed nine of them for 145 yards and two touchdowns. Stony Brook finished the game with 499 yards of total offense and 354 rushing yards, both season-highs.

Presbyterian is coming off a hard-fought loss against Liberty this past Saturday. The Blue Hose played the Flames even for the first half, but ultimately fell, 34-24.

Myron Gary led the team with 92 yards through the air and two passing touchdowns. Gary also has three of the team’s nine rushing touchdowns. Freshman quarterback Ryan Singer scored his first two touchdowns of his career, both of which came on the ground. His 70-yard touchdown run was the longest run in the program’s Division I history.

The Blue Hose have a 1-7 overall record and are 1-3 in conference play.

“They’re a young team, but on the flipside they’ve gotten better and better each of the last four weeks,” Priore said. “They’ll come ready to play, so I expect it to be a challenge for us.”

These two teams have only met once, with Stony Brook winning 52-14 last year. Coulter had his best game as a Seawolf, throwing for a career-high 321 yards along with two touchdowns.

The game will be televised on SportSouth (DirecTV 649 – Dish Network 437) and the call can be heard on WUSB 90.1 FM. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.