Men’s Tennis senior Raphael Termat earns national ranking

The Intercollegiate Tennis Association ranked senior Raphael Termat No. 118 in the country on May 4, making him the first nationally ranked Stony Brook player in over a decade.

“I was really happy and excited because it was one of my goals,” Termat, the No. 1 singles player for the Stony Brook men’s tennis team, said. “It was a goal coming into Stony Brook, from Nice, France, to one day be ranked.”

Jan Krecji, who was ranked 100th in the ITA National Rankings in 2004, was the last Stony Brook men’s tennis player to make the list, according to head coach Gary Glassman.

Termat needed to play ranked schools in order to be nationally ranked himself, but the men’s tennis team had few opportunities to compete against large tennis programs. After winning a match against No. 64-ranked Yale senior Tyler Lu in March, Termat gained momentum and eventually earned the 121st spot on April 25.

After 10-11 hours of practice every week and a career record of 61-21 in singles matches, Termat continually secured his position as the No.1 singles player for the men’s team during his time with Stony Brook.

Termat completed his goal of becoming ranked, but it was in the program’s final season. The men’s tennis program will not continue due to recent changes in conference landscape, Stony Brook Director of Athletics Shawn Heilbron confirmed in a statement.

Over the summer, because of a mutual connection with one of his former coaches in France, Termat may earn the chance to train with professional tennis players, such as Novak Djokovic, before the pros head to the Monte-Carlo Masters tournament this summer.