Baseball swept in series at Albany

Sophomore Bret Clarke throws a pitch in a game against Maine on April 29 at Joe Nathan Field. Clarke held off the Albany Great Danes in the first innings of the series, but the Seawolves lost both games.
MARIE MATSUNAGA/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook dropped the first two games of a three-game series against Albany this weekend. The first went into extra innings and broke the Seawolves four-game winning streak. The Seawolves’ conference record falls to 8-9.

Game 1: Albany 3, Stony Brook 2

Sophomore starting pitcher Bret Clarke had a quality start on Saturday, allowing only two runs despite coughing up nine hits. The two runs proved to be insurmountable for the Seawolves, who ended up losing to the Great Danes, 3-2.

After the Seawolves were down 1-0 for four innings, the game began to heat up as Stony Brook headed into the top of the fifth. Senior center fielder Toby Handley hit an RBI triple down the right field line that tied the game at one. This marks Handley’s 30th straight game in which he successfully reached base.

Junior third baseman Bobby Honeyman was up at bat next for the Seawolves. He followed Handley’s RBI with a groundout to the shortstop, allowing Handley to score, and giving his team a 2-1 lead in the fifth inning.

Since Albany tied the game up at two during the bottom of the seventh inning, Stony Brook needed to make the most of its chance to regain the lead in the eighth. Senior shortstop Jeremy Giles came up to the plate with the bases loaded: the team’s best chance to tie the game. However, he fouled out to Albany’s first baseman and the inning ended with the score tied at two. 

The game remained tied and continued into extra innings. The Seawolves continued to leave men on base in the tenth and eleventh innings, missing more chances to pull back ahead and take the game.

Albany sophomore shortstop Kevin Donati hit a double to kick off the inning. It set the stage for Albany’s next batter, sophomore third baseman Travis Collins, who hit a game-winning RBI single.

Game 2: Albany 4, Stony Brook 2.

Continuing with Saturday’s doubleheader, the Seawolves looked to redeem themselves following the eleventh inning loss to Albany. Freshman starting pitcher Brian Herrmann had a solid start to the game, but allowed Albany to score three runs in the sixth inning to defeat Stony Brook, 4-2.

Following three scoreless innings, Stony Brook pulled ahead in the top of the fourth. Junior infielder Andruw Gazzola hit a double into left field, narrowly avoiding being tagged out with a slide into second base. The leadoff hit was followed by an RBI double into left field from senior catcher David Real that allowed Gazzola to score the first run of the game.

Albany tied the game at one during the fifth inning, following a bad throw to first base. Stony Brook took the lead in the following inning when sophomore designated hitter Dylan Resk ripped an RBI single to left field. However, the lead would be short lived.

Albany freshman left fielder Marc Wangenstein hit a two-run double deep into right field in the the sixth inning, giving Albany a 3-2 lead.

Albany’s next batter, redshirt senior left fielder Kyle Sacks, kept the momentum going by hitting an RBI groundout, extending his team’s lead to 4-2. Stony Brook was unable to catch up in the seventh, finishing the game with a 1-2-3 final inning.

Game 3 – Cancelled during the second inning due to rain.

Albany took an early 4-0 lead to start the third and final game of the series. However, the game was delayed and eventually canceled due to torrential rain.

Stony Brook will look to bounce back next weekend when it hosts conference-rival Binghamton. The Bearcats ended the Seawolves 2016 season, defeating them in the America East Championship. The series begins at noon on Saturday at Joe Nathan Field.