Kylie Ohlmiller breaks America East assist record, Seawolves win ninth straight

Junior attacker Kylie Ohlmiller in a game against USC on March 24. Ohlmiller had four goals and five assists against UMBC on Saturday. ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN

Junior attacker Emma Schait entered Stony Brook Women’s Lacrosse’s 19-8 win at UMBC on Saturday with four career goals to her name. At the midpoint of the first half, she had matched her career total en route to a six-goal performance that helped clinch the home-field advantage for the 14-1 Seawolves in the America East tournament, which begins on May 5.

The rainy matchup in Baltimore was dictated by Schait’s scoring outburst and sophomore goalkeeper Anna Tesoriero’s stellar day in the cage. Tesoriero had 12 saves, including some pointblank stops that were all the difference in a game where the lopsided final score did not reflect that both teams had similar shot totals, turnovers and draw controls.

Schait opened scoring in the game with an unassisted goal eight minutes into the first half. Over the next seven minutes, she would score three more times, giving Stony Brook a 5-1 lead they would not surrender on their way to the team’s ninth straight win.

Meanwhile, junior attacker Kylie Ohlmiller lead the Seawolves with nine points, four goals and five assists. Her first assist came in the last two minutes of the first half and gave her a record-tying 55 career assists in conference play. By game’s end, she held sole possession of the America East record with 59 career assists.

In other milestone news, Ohlmiller’s 112 points this season kept the Tewaaraton Award favorite on pace to become the NCAA single-season points record holder. University of Maryland legend Jen Adams holds the record after scoring 148 points in 22 games in 2001. If Ohlmiller continues at her NCAA-leading 7.47 points per game, she will surpass Adams in game 20 — the first round of the NCAA playoffs.    

For Ohlmiller, the record will be reached at some point in the first few rounds of the playoffs, which are acutely in the vision of the Seawolves, who are ranked third in the Inside Lacrosse poll and fourth in the IWLCA Coaches poll. With Saturday’s win, Stony Brook clinched home field advantage against New Hampshire in the America East semifinals.

Thanks to Schait’s offensive explosion and Ohlmiller’s unstoppable play, the team’s other top scorers did not need to be as prolific as usual. The only other player with more than three points was freshman attacker Taryn Ohlmiller, who finished with a goal and four assists.

Senior midfielder Dorrien Van Dyke – in her first game since getting drafted into the United Women’s Lacrosse League – added two goals and an assist. Her first goal came at the end of the first half off a Taryn Ohlmiller outlet pass from behind the net, setting up the future pro to rocket the ball in for the score as time expired.

Freshman midfielder Ally Kennedy and senior midfielder Kristin Yevoli also contributed two goals and an assist. Senior attacker Alyssa Guido and sophomore midfielder Kasey Mitchell scored once apiece, the second goal this season for both.

UMBC sophomore midfielder Lauren McDonald matched Schait’s total, scoring six of the Retrievers’ eight goals. She managed to keep the game somewhat competitive on 10 shots, seemingly the only UMBC player who could out-maneuver Tesoriero.

Sophomore attacker Sara Moeller took eight shots on goal and managed to only put the ball into the net once. The only other goal for UMBC on their senior day came from senior attacker Sam Nolan.

Stony Brook returns to Long Island for its last two regular season games this weekend. The first game will be at Hofstra on Friday at 7 p.m.. Then the Seawolves will host their senior day game against UMass Lowell on Saturday at 11 a.m..