Volleyball sweeps New Hampshire

Volleyball is fighting to hold fourth place in the conference and the final playoff spot.

The Stony Brook volleyball team won the first game of a three-game homestand on Friday, making it three wins on its home court this season. The victory against New Hampshire, 3-0 (25-11, 25-22, 26-24), improved the Seawolves record to 4-4 in the American East Conference and 9-15 overall this year.

Junior Alicia Nelson led the Seawolves with 15 kills while senior Jeanette Gibbs and sophomore Greta Strenger combined for 27 digs on defense.

A kill by Nelson jumpstarted Stony Brook to a quick 3-0 lead, only to lose that lead from an error by junior Kelsey Sullivan. The Seawolves regained the lead with a 5-0 run, 14-8, which was capped by a kill from Strenger. Stony brook blew it open 18-10 which resulted in a New Hampshire timeout. However the break only benefited the Seawolves as a 6-0 run late in the first set gave them the 1-0 advantage.

After a dominating first set, Stony Brook stumbled upon some trouble with an early four point deficit in the second set. However, a five point spurt gave them the lead, 8-6, as freshman Hailee Herc blocked a New Hampshire attack. After a timeout, a service ace from senior middle blocker Ashley Headen widened the lead to four. Stony Brook led as much as seven until New Hampshire rallied late in the set to close within 1.  However sophomore Corrine Perry’s service ace sealed the set for a 2-0 advantage for Stony Brook.

The third set was a close match, as neither team was able to run away with a lead. Stony brook was down, 23-24, but a kill by Headen tied the game and extended the set. After going up 25-24, a service ace by Headen closed out the game as the Seawolves swept New Hampshire.

After Sunday’s game against Providence, Stony Brook closes out their home stand to UMBC. If the season were to end today, fourth place Stony Brook would move on to the American East Conference Tournament.