Preview: Stony Brook football vs. Charleston Southern

The Seawolves are look looking to go 3-0 in the Big South for the second straight season as they take on Charleston Southern on Saturday at LaValle Stadium. Stony Brook is coming off a dominating 38-28 victory over Coastal Carolina.

The Chanticleers had their Homecoming ruined as the Seawolves dominated the first half and never looked back. Sophomore Miguel Maysonet (Riverhead, N.Y.) had his best game in a Stony Brook uniform, rushing for 193 yards and three touchdowns. He ran for 168 yards and all three scores in the first half. His rushing total was the 11th highest in school history.

Junior Brock Jackolski (Shirley, N.Y.) rushed for two touchdowns for the third time this season. He leads the Big South with seven rushing touchdowns and the team with eight overall scores.

This was Stony Brook’s fourth game with over 200 yards on the ground, and there has been a 100-yard rusher in five of the seven games this season. Maysonet (719) and Jackolski (588) rank first and second, respectively, in the conference in rushing yards.

Charleston Southern had its Homecoming game ruined by VMI this past Saturday. Despite outgaining the Keydets 386-242, the Buccaneers lost 34-16, their third loss at home this season.

In just his second career start, quarterback Andrew Trudnowski threw for 326 yards, but also threw four interceptions. This marked the second time in three weeks that the Bucs had four turnovers in one game. For the second time this season, two receivers went over the century mark: Gerald Stevenson had seven receptions for 129 yards while Deon Lee had six catches for a career-high 112 yards.

Charleston Southern is 0-3 in the Big South for the first time since 2003. Despite their struggles, Stony Brook head coach Chuck Priore will not underestimate them.

“They’re a good football team, they’re very talented,” he said. “They’re a physical team, so it’ll be a challenge.”

Saturday’s game also marks the ninth annual Chief Raymond M. Downey Heroes Classic. Downey was the father of former Stony Brook All-American Chuck Downey ’88. He was the Chief of the Special Operations Command of the Fire Department of New York. Downey died in the line of duty while helping others escape from the World Trade Center on September 11.

All Emergency Service Personnel, including FDNY, NYPD, EMS and military, receive free admission with a valid ID. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m.