Ohlmiller sisters dominate as Stony Brook beats New Hampshire, 14-2

Freshman attacker Taryn Ohlmiler scores a goal in a game against USC on March 24. ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN
Freshman attacker Taryn Ohlmiler scores a goal in a game against USC on March 24. Ohlmiller scored five goals of a 10-goal run against New Hampshire. ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN

In the first America East matchup of the season, the No. 7 Stony Brook women’s lacrosse team put on a dominant offensive performance, beating New Hampshire, 14-2, on the road Sunday afternoon.

From the get-go, it was apparent that the Seawolves offense would impose its will upon New Hampshire, winning twice as many draws and having a 24-5 advantage in shots on goal. In controlling the possession, Stony Brook did not allow its opponent any opportunities to get back into the game once the Seawolves scoring started to snowball.

The game went by at a blistering pace with the Seawolves scoring 10 straight goals during the first half. Freshman attacker Taryn Ohlmiller scored five herself.  

Cutting across the 12-yard fan right-to-left, junior attacker Kylie Ohlmiller fired a behind-the-back pass to her sister, who was running across the net mouth in the opposite direction. As the pass was received, Ohlmiller whipped a behind-the-back shot that beat the goalie over the shoulder to make the score 8-0 midway through the first half.

Kylie Ohlmiller recorded eight assists in the game, a career-high, to bring her season point total to 65, the most in the NCAA in 2017.

The Seawolves set a tempo that was impossible for the Wildcats to keep up with, which forced them to commit 21 turnovers. On top of the turnover issue, Stony Brook recovered nearly 66 percent of all ground balls forced.

With a lead of 10 going into the second half, Stony Brook had the advantage of having a running clock, meaning that they could wrap up the game significantly faster.  The team returns to action at home this Friday, March 31, under the lights at 7 p.m. against No. 6 Colorado.