Stony Brook gets back on winning path; defeats Coastal Carolina 38-28

The Stony Brook football team got back on the winning path by defeating Coastal Carolina 38-28 on Saturday night. Sophomore running back Miguel Maysonet (Riverhead, N.Y.) ran for a career high 193 yards on 20 carries. 168 of those yards came in the first half along with his three touchdowns. Maysonet’s 193 yards are the 11th most in Stony Brook history.

Junior Brock Jackolski (Shirley, N.Y.) added two more touchdowns for the Seawolves. This is the third time he has rushed for two touchdowns in a game, and he leads the Big South with seven rushing touchdowns. Jackolski also leads the Seawolves with eight touchdowns.

This was Stony Brook’s fourth game with at least 200 yards on the ground. This win over Coastal Carolina put the Seawolves at 10-3 all-time in Big South games. The Seawolves also have not rushed for under 140 yards this season. Stony Brook also has five rushers with at least 100 yards out their seven games.

Sophomore Wesley Skiffington (Brandon, Fla.) hit all five of his extra points along with his fifth field goal of the season.

On Stony Brook’s first drive of the game, Jackolski took a screen pass for 22 yards and Maysonet ran for 18 yards. On third-and-seven, as Jackolski caught a 16-yard pass, and advanced to the Coastal 9. On second-and-goal from the four Maysonet scored his first touchdown of the game. On the following drive Maysonet ran 78 yards, which is the longest Seawolf run since Ralph Menendez’s 80 yard run in 2000. Jackolski scored two plays later for his first touchdown of the game.

Junior Roosevelt Kirk (Oakland, Calif.) recovered a fumble by Coastal quarterback Zach MacDowall on the 19. Maysonet scored from the five for his second touchdown of the game.

On their next drive, the Seawolves went 64 yards in two plays in just 31 seconds. Junior Michael Coulter (Yorba Linda, Calif.) hit senior Michael Lepore (Brick, N.J.) on a 33-yard pass to advance to the Coastal 31. Maysonet broke some tackles and added a 31 touchdown run to give him his third touchdown of the game.

MacDowall’s one-yard touchdown was the only score of the half for the Chanticleers, who totaled just 111 yards of offense.

Stony Brook recorded its 14th takeaway of the season when sophomore Craig Richardson (Malden, Mass.) picked off MacDowall on Coastal’s third drive of the first half. Coastal Carolina scored on their first drive of the third quarter on an Aaron Jones touchdown. MacDowall scored the two-point conversion to make it 31-15 in the third quarter.

The Seawolves forced a fourth down, on the Chanticleers next drive, but punter Ben Erdman went for eight yards on a fake. Aramis Hillary, who replaced MacDowall, completed a 24-yard pass to Marquel Willis for a touchdown.

Jackolski put the game out of reach on a six yard touchdown run.

Senior Stephen Schwicke (East Patchogue, N.Y.) intercepted a pass before Stony Brook took a knee to end the game.

The Seawolves will host Charleston Southern next Saturday at 3:00 p.m. The game also marks the ninth annual Raymond M. Downey Heroes Classic.