Preview: Stony Brook football at Coastal Carolina

It’s back to Big South conference play for the Seawolves as they are on the road for the second straight week to face the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers. Stony Brook looks to get back in the win column after a disappointing loss to Lafayette this past Saturday, 28-21.

Quarterback Michael Coulter (Yorba Linda, Calif.) accounted for all three Stony Brook touchdowns, rushing for one and throwing two. He finished the game with 200 yards passing. Junior Brock Jackolski (Shirley, N.Y.) led the team with 104 rushing yards on 15 carries. Junior Matt Brevi (Tampa, Fla.) also had a good day, finishing with 10 receptions for 75 yards and a score.

The Seawolves outgained the Leopards 359-303, but played very sloppy football on both sides of the ball, committing 11 penalties. They will have to play better as they dive into the depths of the conference schedule.

Coastal Carolina has the same record as Stony Brook at 2-4. The Chanticleers are coming off a 35-7 victory over Presbyterian in their Big South opener. The defense forced three interceptions and stopped the Blue Hose twice on fourth down in the red zone.

Quarterback Zach MacDowall accounted for most of the Coastal Carolina offense, passing for 204 yards and rushing for 97. He threw three touchdowns and rushed for one. MacDowall has thrown for over 1100 yards on the season along with nine touchdowns, but he has also thrown eight interceptions. Wide receiver Brandon Whitely has caught 18 passes with five of them going for a touchdown. Senior running back Eric O’Neal has rushed for 409 yards and four touchdowns.

Stony Brook head coach Chuck Priore said the Chanticleers pose a tough challenge for the Seawolves.

“They’re very, very athletic with a lot of weapons,” he said. “It’s a tough place to play and it’s their Homecoming, so it’ll be a difficult game.”

The Seawolves are 2-0 against the Chanticleers, defeating them 28-24 in 2008 and 16-10 last season. This will be the third straight homecoming game the Seawolves participate in.

The game will be televised on MASN. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m.