Blown ninth-inning opportunity stifles Seawolves in defeat

_MG_0034
The Stony Brook baseball team lost to Pepperdine, 4-3, on Tuesday night. TIM OAKES/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook Baseball scored two clutch ninth-inning runs against Pepperdine to bring them within one run of tying the game. The team soon loaded the bases with one out in the inning, but both senior shortstop Jeremy Giles and sophomore second baseman Brandon Janofsky struck out looking.

Pepperdine defeated Stony Brook 4-3 on Tuesday night after the Seawolves failed to capitalize on an opportunity to score in the ninth inning. The Seawolves’ overall record fell to 4-10 this season.

Freshman starting pitcher Brian Herrmann did not allow a base hit in the first three innings at Eddy D. Field Stadium, much like freshman starting pitcher Sam Turcotte against LIU Brooklyn on Thursday. But Herrmann struggled with his command in the fourth inning, allowing three runs to cross home plate. He would not return to the game in the fifth and was charged with his second loss of the season.

The Seawolves left the bases loaded on three separate occasions. They even walked a season-high nine times, but the run production was scarce. Pepperdine’s starting pitcher, sophomore Jonathan Pendergast, got out of several of those bases-loaded jams, allowing no runs while striking out four batters en route to his second win of the season.

Redshirt junior infielder Nick Costello had the Waves’ biggest hit of the game when he hit a line drive to shortstop that forced Giles to dive and make an off-balance throw. Costello was safe at first and two runs crossed the plate during the infield hit.

Senior outfielder Casey Baker hit an RBI double down the right field line that began his team’s ninth-inning rally against Pepperdine, bringing his team within two runs of tying the game, and also putting a man on second base. Baker finished the game with two hits to continue his recent hot streak: eight hits and four RBIs in the past three games.

Freshman infielder Michael Wilson hit an RBI single through the right side of the infield for his team’s first run of the game. The RBI gives him a team-high of 10 this season. Wilson joined Baker and Janofsky as the three Seawolves with multiple hits in the game.

Head coach Matt Senk returned to the bench in Tuesday’s game after missing the first four home games of the season because he was feeling under the weather, according to Stony Brook Athletics.

The team will remain in California this week and will begin a three-game series against the University of California, Santa Barbara that will begin on Friday at 6 p.m..