Movie Review: ‘Logan’

Hugh Jackman speaking at the 2013 San Diego Comic Con International, for "The Wolverine", at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, California. Jackman reprises his role as Wolverine in the new film "Logan." GAGE SKIDMORE/FLICKR VIA CC BY SA 2.0
Hugh Jackman speaking at the 2013 San Diego Comic Con International, for “The Wolverine,” at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, California. Jackman reprises his role as Wolverine in the new film “Logan.” GAGE SKIDMORE/FLICKR VIA CC BY SA 2.0

Director James Mangold’s newest project “Logan” creates an action-packed and memorable movie with non-stop battles, an impactful storyline and impressive acting. 

This movie focuses on Logan, also known as Wolverine, who is played by Hugh Jackman. This is Jackman’s final time portraying the iconic Marvel character, which he has played for the past 17 years.

The story takes place several years into the future, where a virus has killed nearly every mutant on the planet. An organization called the Transigen Project created the virus, which has toxic effects on the few mutants that survived.  The virus is slowly killing the last of the mutants, including Wolverine.

Wolverine, now weakened and poisoned by the virus, works as a chauffeur and is trying to aid the elderly Charles Xavier, played by Patrick Stewart. All of that changes when he meets a woman who wishes to travel with her 11-year-old daughter named Laura (Dafne Keen) to North Dakota to a place called “Eden.”

Jackman’s final performance as Wolverine kept my full attention. He captured the mutant’s character well when he was in a brutal battle against his enemies. His weariness and struggle with the virus killing him inside also made me not want to take my eyes off the screen. 

The storyline for this Marvel movie was fascinating. It’s a future where the last remaining mutants are battling the group that created a virus that destroyed them. It made me want to watch more X-Men movies. Marvel has made several different plots for X-Men over the years, but this one was the most interesting.

Another star that resonated with me was Keen and her portrayal of Laura, also known as X-23.  She played a young mutant with the same abilities as Wolverine and like him, she was cold, distant, ruthless and demanding. Keen put on a decent performance with her character, especially when she sliced off and threw an enemy’s head toward the Transigen group.

As I predicted, this movie had numerous fight scenes with countless deaths. Even though this was what I expected from Logan and Laura, their fights never had a dull moment. Their brutal attacks with their claws made it compelling to watch.

All in all, Logan is a movie worth watching. Fans of X-Men and Hugh Jackman should go and see his final performance as the iconic and ferocious Wolverine.