Trendy spots on Long Island to satisfy your caffeine addiction

Soul Brew ANISAH ABDULLAH/THE STATESMAN
A mural in Soul Brew cafe located in St. James adds to the relaxed ambiance where patrons enjoy light food, coffee, tea and board games. ANISAH ABDULLAH/THE STATESMAN

Instead of always getting coffee from the Seawolves Marketplace or Starbucks on campus, here are other options you can choose from across Long Island.

1. The Cup Coffeehouse – Wantagh

Located on the south shore of Nassau County, The Cup Coffeehouse is a trendy spot offering a variety of beverages, food, board games, live music and open mic nights. Open from 6 p.m. to midnight from Sunday to Thursday and until 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, it’s a great place to catch up with friends while playing a game of Cards Against Humanity or any of the other board games that are provided. Take a seat on comfy couches in their artsy interior or under the strings of fairy lights in their outdoor seating area during the warmer months. Butterbeer is even available for Harry Potter fans.

2. The Witches Brew – West Hempstead

The Witches Brew in Nassau County is a popular coffee house best known for its spooky and Halloween-themed decor. The dimly lit ambiance, with orange fairy lights, makes it a great place to hang out with friends into the late hours. It has an expansive coffee and tea menu and different food choices, including desserts and vegan options. It’s closed on Monday and open from noon until midnight on Sunday and Tuesday through Thursday. It stays open until 1 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.

3. Soul Brew – St. James

In Suffolk County, Soul Brew offers a variety of light food options, organic smoothies, teas and coffee in a relaxing and colorfully-decorated cafe setting. It’s open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Sunday through Tuesday and until 10 p.m. for the rest of the week. There are fun card games like Taboo and Uno for groups of friends to enjoy, as well as games for kids. Soul Brew also has live music and a box full of books that anyone can read while they sip on their latte.

4. Crazy Beans – Stony Brook

Popular among students because of its close proximity to campus, word of mouth and many Instagram photos, Crazy Beans offers an array of lattes that come in jars and decorated mugs. As a sit-down restaurant, it has a variety of options for breakfast and lunch for customers while they sit in the quaint and intimate setting. Its decor is similar to a vintage diner with the tiled floors and red chairs, and customers are greeted by a large moose head hanging above the counter when they first walk in. Crazy Beans is open from 6:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and opens at 7 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

5. Local’s Cafe – Port Jefferson

Across the street from the marinas in Port Jefferson, Local’s Cafe is a modern cafe with a health conscious menu and, of course, an array of coffee options. This relatively new cafe, which opened in February of last year, adds to the variety of eateries in downtown Port Jefferson. It caters to people on the go who don’t want to sit down for a full meal, like the nearby Toast Coffeehouse offers, and allows people to walk down to the water with their coffee. It’s open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays and until 8 p.m. on weekends.