Episode Review: “The Bachelor” Final Four

rose Guillaume Seguin flick via cc by-nc-nd 2.0
Red Roses, like these, are iconic of ABC’s “The Bachelor.” GUILLAUME SEGUIN/FLICKR VIA CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

ABC’s “The Bachelor” has always been filled with shocking moments perfectly narrated by host Chris Harrison. From last season’s bachelor Ben Higgins saying “I love you” to the last two women left in the competition to this season’s bachelor Nick Viall asking three dads if he can marry their daughters, I’ve realized that this show is basically a hot mess.

With that being said, I still think it’s a great way to spend your Monday nights if you don’t have anything better to do.

Last week’s episode introduced us to the hometowns of the four remaining girls – Raven Gates, Rachel Lindsay, Corinne Olympios and Vanessa Grimaldi. Raven, originally from Hoxie, Arkansas, brought Nick to a random grain bin, which is where she said people from Hoxie go when they need to have important conversations. On their way to the top of grain bin, they were stopped by a cop who told them to stop what they were doing. In the typical bachelor surprise fashion, it turned out that the cop was none other than Raven’s brother – what a relief for everyone who thought they were going to be arrested for trespassing.

Their date continued with them going mudding and ended with Nick meeting the family. Nick’s introduction was quickly overshadowed by Raven’s father announcing that he was officially cancer-free, which led to a touching heart-to-heart between Raven and her father. Nick, after congratulating Raven’s dad on the great news, proceeded to ask for his blessing in possibly proposing to Raven if that’s what he decided to do at the end of the show. Her father, who started off by saying he didn’t think that he was going to like Nick, said that it would be okay with him – one down, two more blessings to go.

Rachel’s hometown of Dallas, Texas, was next. Her date started with taking Nick to church, to which she said “he better be ready to snap, clap [and] stomp.” It ended with Nick meeting her family and talking about them being a interracial couple. He didn’t ask Rachel’s mom for her blessing and Rachel’s dad was out of town due to work obligations, so we’ll never know if they would’ve been okay with him proposing. Their date went really well and her family seemed to really like Nick, but this date doesn’t really matter since it was announced on Feb. 13 that Rachel will be next season’s Bachelorette . The announcement was a big spoiler and upsetting to viewers, especially if Rachel was your favorite. Even though it’s obvious that she doesn’t make it to the end, we still have to sit through watching her trying to win Nick’s heart.

Corinne was next, who you’ve probably heard of even if you don’t watch the show because of her crazy antics and appearance on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show.” She brought Nick to her hometown of Miami, Florida, and they went shopping. She casually bought him $3,000 worth of clothing and didn’t blink an eye before handing over her credit card while Nick was freaking out behind her. They then went to a cute outdoor restaurant and talked about their relationship. Their date ended with Nick meeting her family and the famous nanny that we’ve been waiting to meet all season – Raquel. One of my unpopular opinions is that I honestly really like Corinne and Nick together and while everyone in the beginning of the season didn’t like her, I feel like I relate to her because of her love of cheese cubes and naps. Nick proceeded to ask her father for his blessing right after a quick conversation about his concerns with Nick being able to financially support her  – two successful blessings down, one more to go.

The last date of the episode was with Vanessa in Montreal, Canada. She took him to her classroom and showed him what her job as a special education teacher is like, which also revealed genuine moments between her and her students. Then, Nick went to meet Vanessa’s mom’s side of the family, which included 20 of her Italian relatives who were all panicking that Vanessa was going to get her heart broken again.

After meeting her mom’s side of the family, Nick met Vanessa’s dad. Nick asked for his blessing and was met with dramatic music followed by, “I just can’t give you my blessing, just like this,” from Vanessa’s father. Her dad brought up the fact that Nick’s still dating three other women and asked if Nick asked the other girls’ fathers for their blessings, which he reluctantly responded yes to. After Vanessa’s dad grilled him for a few minutes, he finally gave him his blessing. Three out of three –successful.

None of the girls were sent home at the end of this episode, which means Monday’s episode will include an elimination and the infamous fantasy suites, the episode in which Nick gets a night of off-camera alone time with each woman.

If you’re looking for an entertaining reality show with silly drama, I recommend watching “The Bachelor” on Monday nights at 8 p.m. or at least looking at the hashtag on Twitter while the show is on to see viewers’ humorous reactions.