Men’s Lacrosse ties school scoring record in rout over No. 9 Brown

Senior attackman Ryan Bitzer breaks through two defenders in a scrimmage against Notre Dame on Oct 8, 2016. ARACELY JIMENEZ/STATESMAN FILE
Senior attackman Ryan Bitzer pushes past a defender in a scrimmage against Notre Dame on Oct. 8, 2016. Bitzer scored three goals in Saturday’s game against Brown. ARACELY JIMENEZ/STATESMAN FILE

Stony Brook Men’s Lacrosse made history on Saturday at Stevenson Field in Providence, Rhode Island by tying the team’s Division I record of 25 goals in a victory over Brown University. The last time they scored 25 goals was against Wagner in 2000.

Entering the game, Brown was the ninth-ranked team in the country, according to Inside Lacrosse.

The team got off to a strong start against Brown, scoring the game’s first eight goals in the first quarter alone. Stony Brook never surrendered its lead and would go on to defeat the Bears 25-17. Stony Brook remains undefeated and improves its overall record to 3-0.

The victory over the Brown Bears marks the first time Stony Brook has defeated a top ten-ranked team since 2008.

Freshman attackman Cory VanGinhoven got the ball rolling for Stony Brook by scoring three goals in the first quarter. VanGinhoven finished the game with seven goals, the most by a Seawolf in a game this season. The freshman has found himself leading the team with 11 goals just three games into his first collegiate season.

Brown entered the second quarter down eight goals, but they mustered a 10-5 run to bring the game to within three goals early in the third quarter. Nine Bears scored during the run including junior forward Ted Ottens, who scored twice during the span. Senior attackman Dylan Molloy — the 2016 NCAA Player of the Year — led the Bears in scoring with four goals.

But the Seawolves attack proved to be too much for the Bears. Stony Brook got back on the saddle following Ottens’ second goal of the game in the beginning of the third quarter. The Seawolves went on an 8-3 run, which gave them an eight-goal lead late in the game.

Senior midfielder Alex Corpolongo and freshman attackman Tom Haun both scored two goals during the run to help keep Brown at bay. Senior midfielder Jeff Reh finished with four goals, the second most on Stony Brook, while Corpolongo and Haun both finished with three.

Senior attackman Ryan Bitzer finished the game with three goals, but he also lead the team in distributing the ball. Bitzer finished the game with a team-high three assists.

The undefeated Stony Brook team will return home on Saturday for the team’s home-opener against Fairfield University. The game begins at 1 p.m.