Lafayette beats Seawolves football

Stony Brook was unable to carry the momentum from a homecoming win last week over Virginia Military Institute when the team traveled to Easton, Pa., to take on the Lafayette Leopards on Saturday, ultimately falling to the hosts, 28-21.

Quarterback Michael Coulter (Yorba Linda, Calif.) threw for 200 yards and running back Brock Jackolski (Shirley, N.Y.) ran for 104 yards, but 11 penalties cost the Seawolves, who outgained Lafeyette 359-303.

Stony Brook did score on its final possession, which started out on the Lafayette 45-yard line.

Coulter found Matt Brevi (Tampa, Fla.) from the one to make it 28-21, but that was all Stony Brook would score.

The Seawolves attempted an onside-kick that was touched by a Lafayette player before heading out-of-bounds.

Stony Brook recovered a fumble on Lafayette’s second possession when junior Ryan Haber (Lafayette Hill, Pa.) forced George Stripe to fumble. The ball was picked up by sophomore Dominick Reyes (Hesperia, Calif.) on the Stony Brook 11. Nothing came of the turnover, however, and neither team scored in the first quarter.

Lafayette opened the scoring on its first drive of the second quarter with a 21-yard touchdown pass from veteran quarterback Ryan O’Neil to Mitch Bennett.

The Seawolves answered on the next drive when Coulter threw a touchdown to Chris Fenelon (Bellerose, N.Y.), Fenelon’s first college catch and touchdown. Jackolski ran for 35 yards on the drive with a long run of 22 yards.

After Lafayette took a 10-7 lead on a field goal before halftime, the Leopards scored the only touchdown of the third quarter to go up 17-7.

Stony Brook finally scored again in the fourth quarter. The Seawolves gained 75 yards in 16 plays, and Coulter ran the ball in for a 1-yard touchdown. The drive was highlighted by a Coulter pass to Matt Brevi for 37 yards.

Lafayette kicked a field goal on the following drive, then added a touchdown before Stony Brook’s final score.

Freshman Jawara Dudley (Roosevelt, N.Y.) led the Seawolves with 12 tackles.

Stony Brook’s next game is a Big South game against Coastal Carolina on Saturday, October 23 at 7:30 p.m. The game will also be televised on MASN.