Volleyball sweeps UMBC

The Stony Brook volleyball team swept UMBC on Friday in three sets to improve to 2-1 in conference play and 7-12 overall.

The 3-0(25-22, 27-25, 25-21) victory put the Seawolves third in the American East standings behind Albany and New Hampshire.

Junior Alicia Nelson had a game high 18 kills to once again lead Stony Brook. Coming off an impressive week when she won player of the week honors, Nelson notched double digit kills for the ninth time in ten games this year. Senior Jeanette Gibbs posted a team high 11 digs while freshman Hailee Herc contributed 9 kills and 9 digs.

It was a close set to begin the game, as there were 5 ties in the first set as well as 3 lead changes. Stony Brook got off to a quick 5-1 start, but they lost the lead midway through the set at 14-13 due to errors. However, with the score tied at 22, the Seawolves closed out the set with three straight points for an early 1-0 advantage.

As tight as set one was, the second set was even closer. Stony Brook once again got off to a quick five-point lead, only to give it up late in the set at 18-17. UMBC eventually led, 24-22, with a chance to close out the set. However, the Seawolves rallied to win the set 27-25 thanks to a kill from senior Ashley Headen and a UMBC error.

No team in the third set took more than a two point lead until late on, when Stony Brook led by four. Herc tallied her ninth kill of the game to close out the set and the game.  The game was Stony Brook’s third road win of the year.

After the three game-road trip, the Seawolves return home this weekend to host first place Albany on Saturday.