Stony Brook Football releases 2017 schedule

priore-9-1-16-pc-evan-yuson
Stony Brook Football head coach Chuck Priore in a game on September 1st. He announced the 2017 season where the Seawolves will open against South Florida in Tampa. EVAN YUSON/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook head football coach Chuck Priore announced the 2017 football schedule in a news release on Tuesday.

After the team’s fourth straight season without a winning record, Stony Brook opens up the season against Football Bowl Division opponent South Florida on Sept. 2 in Tampa. The meeting is the second time the Seawolves have started regular season play against the Bulls, losing 59-14 in 2010.

On Sept. 9, Stony Brook continues its road trip in a game against Rhode Island in the team’s first conference game of the season. The Seawolves beat the Rams, 14-3, on Oct. 15 at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium.

Once the team returns from the road trip, Stony Brook takes on Sacred Heart on Sept. 16 in the home opener at LaValle Stadium before welcoming Towson to Long Island on Sept. 23. The Seawolves lost to the Pioneers 38-10 at LaValle Stadium last season but defeated the Tigers 27-20 on the road.

The team goes on another road trip to Virginia to take on William & Mary on Sept. 30 to close out the month before returning home to play against Delaware on Oct. 7. Stony Brook then continues its homestand against New Hampshire on Oct. 14 and heads down to Richmond on Oct. 28.

Finally in November the Seawolves open the month with the sixth annual “Empire Clash” on Nov. 4 at LaValle Stadium. The game marks the third time Stony Brook and Albany will have played for the Golden Apple, currently possessed by Albany, defeating Stony Brook 13-6.

Stony Brook will then close out the home schedule with non-conference against Northeast Conference member Wagner when the two schools meet for the 15th time on Nov. 11.

The regular season campaign concludes on Nov. 18 with a trip up to Orono, Maine, to battle the Maine Black Bears.