Women’s basketball loses another as early-season struggles mount

Senior guard Christa Scognamiglio scores in game against Columbia on Nov. 22 at Island Federal Credit Union Arena. ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN
Senior guard Christa Scognamiglio scores in a game against Columbia on Nov. 22 at Island Federal Credit Union Arena. The Seawolves fell to the Blackbirds 58-48 on Sunday. ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN

After going scoreless in the first quarter of Wednesday night’s game against St. Bonaventure, the Stony Brook women’s basketball team looked to come out strong against LIU Brooklyn in the Steinberg Wellness Center.

The Blackbirds came into the game with a 0-6 record as they continued to search for their first win of the season on Sunday afternoon. Although the Blackbirds have not notched a win under their belts this season, they were able to down the Seawolves by a score of 58-48.

The Seawolves could not keep up with the Blackbirds, who were able to build an 18-16 lead by the end of the first quarter led by senior guard Shanovia Dove who tallied nine of the Blackbirds’ 18 first-quarter points.

LIU Brooklyn took a 32-24 lead into halftime, just its second lead going into the half in seven games this season. Coming into the game, Stony Brook averaged just 53 points per game, while LIU averaged just 48 points per game.

It looked as if the Seawolves would make a comeback in the third and fourth quarter, but the Blackbirds stunted the Seawolves’ momentum every time their offense found life.

Senior guard Kori Bayne-Walker knocked down back-to-back threes in the third quarter to cut the lead to four points. Bayne-Walker and senior guard Christa Scognamiglio combined for 31 of the Seawolves’ 48 total points in the game.

Senior forward Elizabeth Manner attempted to spark the offense late in the game, as she scored six points in the fourth quarter and grabbed 12 boards in the game, leading all players.  

The Seawolves played from behind the entire matchup. The Blackbirds extended their lead to 14 points in the fourth quarter as Stony Brook struggled on the offensive and defensive side of the ball in back-to-back games, sending them to a 2-5 record on the season.

It will be difficult for Stony Brook to win games throughout the season if it continues to shoot 30 percent from the field as they did against LIU Brooklyn. The Blackbirds shot 41 percent from the field and had two players who scored season highs in the game. Dove scored a season high 23 points and freshman center Aja Boyd added a career-high 11 points.

After two consecutive losses, Stony Brook will have a week off to prepare for its next game, when they take on the Central Connecticut Blue Devils on Dec. 11 at 2 p.m. at the Detrick Gymnasium.