Women’s Basketball loses to Bonnies after a zero-point first quarter

Sophomore guard Davion Wingate (No. 1, above) dribbles up court against Syracuse on Nov. 18. She had ____ agianst ____. ERIC SCHMID/THE STATESMAN
Sophomore guard Davion Wingate (No. 1) dribbles up court against Syracuse on Nov. 18. She scored the first points for the Seawolves against the Bonnies. ERIC SCHMID/THE STATESMAN

After winning its last two games, the Stony Brook women’s basketball team looked to keep its hot streak going in a matchup against St. Bonaventure on Wednesday night in the Reilly Center.

That fire died out quickly, as the Seawolves could not make a basket for the first 12 minutes of the game, losing 51-37 to the Bonnies.

Stony Brook could not buy a basket in this first quarter, missing all 11 shots and committing six turnovers in the quarter. It was the first time the team has been shut out in a quarter of play since the NCAA changed the rules from two 20-minute halves to four 10-minute quarters before the 2015-16 season.

The Seawolves finally got their first points of the game off a layup from sophomore guard Davion Wingate with 8:31 remaining in the second quarter. The Bonnies had a 12 point lead at that point and it was too much to come back from.

Stony Brook cut the deficit to single digits on two separate occasions, but both times St. Bonaventure was able to hold them off. After coming out of halftime down 22-12, senior guard Kori Bayne-Walker made a layup to cut the lead down to eight.

Following the basket, St. Bonaventure went on a 14-2 run in six minutes to takes a 36-16 lead.

The Seawolves were able to battle back with a 7-2 run. Two free throws from freshman guard Giolibeth Perez cut the lead down to 40-31 with 7:38 to play in the fourth. That was the closest the Seawolves got, as the Bonnies were able to hold off the comeback and hold the Seawolves to six more points the rest of the quarter.

Overall, Stony Brook had a poor shooting night from all over the floor. They took a season-high 33 three-pointers, but were only able to knock down five of them. Stony Brook made just 13 of 57 shots, or 22.8 percent.

Despite the loss, Stony Brook out-rebounded the Bonnies, 37-35. Another positive was the Seawolves’ bench, a unit that outscored the Bonnies’ bench 22-8.

The team also did a better job with turnovers in the second half after a forgettable first half. After 10 turnovers in the first half, the Seawolves only had three turnovers for the rest of the game.

After Wednesday’s loss, Stony Brook will have a few days off to regroup and collect themselves before heading back out on the road for a matchup against LIU Brooklyn on Sunday, Dec. 4 at 2 p.m.