Happy 40th Birthday Stony Brook Union

Last week marked the Stony Brook Union’s 40th anniversary, and what better way to celebrate than Seawolf-style.

Built in 1969, the Stony Brook Union was originally named the Student Union Building, or SUB.  Its name at the time led to the yellow submarine pictures, as seen on the 40th Anniversary posters, along with movie and the Beatles’ song references.  The Union, later known as ‘the living room of the campus,’ was part of a campus master building plan.  Programs were started by administrators and student groups during 1969 and 1970.  Throughout its existence, the Stony Brook Union has had a bowling alley, post office, bookstore and student cafes.  Over the years, adjustments were made to the Union due to the campus’s changing needs and the opening of the SAC in 1996.

Today, the Union is home to various student organizations including religious groups, media services, a salon and craft center.  The Union Commons offers students a variety of food options.  Starbucks, Delancey and the Deli are also located in the Union.

To celebrate its 40th anniversary, multiple campus organizations got together to plan events at the Union throughout the week. Starting on Sept. 19, WUSB radio host Charlie Backfish hosted The Acoustic Strawbs Live in Concert and the Catholic Campus Ministry held Sunday Mass.  For the rest of the week, the Union held numerous events including Making the Band, Craft Night and Cupcake Decorating.  After decorating her own cupcake, freshman Valerie Sabatasso, a physics major, said, “It was really sweet of the campus dining team to put together a mid-day treat for all the students.”  Many students took time during their busy weekdays to enjoy the campus activities the Union provided during its anniversary week.  To end the celebration, on Sept. 25, the Africana Students Union held a Welcome Back Party, Hillel hosted Morning Shabbat Services and Lunch and the WUSB Sports Broadcast Tent was pitched at LaValle Stadium for the SBU v. UMass football game.