Second-half shooting woes decimate Women’s Basketball in season-opener

Senior guard Kori-Bayne Walker dribbles up the court in a game against UMASS-Lowell on Feb. 6, 2016. KRYSTEN MASSA
Senior guard Kori Bayne-Walker dribbles up the court in a game against UMass-Lowell on Feb. 6, 2016. KRYSTEN MASSA/STATESMAN FILE

It was a tale of two halves for the Stony Brook women’s basketball team as it suffered a 57-46 loss in its season-opener against the Iona Gaels at the Hynes Center in New Rochelle, New York on Friday night.

The Seawolves got off to a good start in the first half, taking a 32-25 lead into halftime. The team shot 13-for-28 from the field in the first half, led by senior guard Kori Bayne-Walker’s 12 points on 4-for-5 shooting.

The game turned midway through the third quarter as the Stony Brook offense went cold. The Seawolves shot just 2-for-14 from the field in the third, including missing their final 11 shots in the quarter. Iona closed the final at 6:36 of the third quarter on an 11-0 run to go from a seven-point deficit to a four-point lead going into the fourth quarter.

Despite the tough third, the Seawolves still found themselves in the game late in the fourth as senior forward Elizabeth Manner made a layup to cut the lead to four with 2:43 left in the game before the Gaels closed out the game on a 7-0 run to seal it.

Stony Brook only shot 6-for-30 in the second half, ending the game shooting just 32.8 percent from the field. The team also had a tough night on the glass, getting outrebounded by Iona 47-29.

Bayne-Walker led the Seawolves with 17 points and three assists in the loss. Manner had a strong offensive night as she scored a career high 13 points along with pulling down a team high seven rebounds. The Gaels were led by sophomore guard Alexis Lewis who scored a game-high 18 points, grabbing eight rebounds.

The Seawolves will look to bounce back from the tough road loss as they return home to play their home opener against Hofstra University at Island Federal Credit Union Arena on Monday night at 7 p.m.