Men’s soccer undefeated over six with 1-0 win at Iona

Mehdi Belakehal recorded the assist on the game-winning goal. (GoSeawolves.org)

A late first half goal from Berian Gobeil Cruz was all that was needed for the Stony Brook men’s soccer team to extend its win streak to six games on Wednesday, as the Seawolves defeated the Iona Gaels, 1-0.

A penalty save by sophomore goalkeeper Stefan Manz (Bronx, N.Y.) was also key to keeping Stony Brook, the #10 team in the Northeast, without a loss in nearly three weeks.

Cruz (Montreal, Quebec) scored with less than three minutes to go in the first half off a cross by Mehdi Belakehal (St.-Hubert, Quebec). The sophomore headed home for his team-leading fifth goal of the season.

Over the course of the streak, the Seawolves (6-4-1) have outscored opponents, 12-6. The run included a victory over Dartmouth and a draw with then-#21 Harvard, both from the Ivy League.

The Seawolves are in a three-way tie for tenth in Northeast rankings, level with the University of New Hampshire and Boston University, both of the America East.

Boston will be Stony Brook’s next opponent as the Seawolves open conference play at home on Saturday. The Terriers topped Stony Brook in the preseason America East polls by just one point.

Kickoff at LaValle Stadium is set for 7 p.m.