Undergraduate Colleges Battle at Field Day

On Saturday, Sept. 25, the recreational fields behind Kenneth P. Lavalle Stadium were filled with students from the six undergraduate colleges competing in Undergraduate College Field Day. A range of activities from kickball to a water balloon toss filled up the afternoon until the start of the Stony Brook vs University of Massachusetts game. The event was the latest activity  of the ongoing Battle of the Undergraduate Colleges.

Upon check in, each person received a bandana of their Undergraduate College, or UGC, color. Spirits were high as students played their way to earn points to raise the rank of their UGC. This event came together over the summer when a committee formed to find ways to raise school spirit. Jeremy Marchese, the Arts, Culture and Humanities advisor, was one of the key people behind the event. The event was a collaboration between the undergraduate colleges and the quads. Marchese hopes this will be the start of many more UGC battles.

“We wanted a way to get more undergraduate spirit and pride,”  he said.

When first advertised, the event was only planned for the freshman class. It later became open to anyone who wanted to attend. During planning, one of the main points of debate was if it would be open to all the undergraduates or just the freshmen class. Since the UGC programs are typically geared towards freshman, it seemed as if upperclassmen wouldn’t care about the event. Instead, many upperclassmen were interested in competing. Marchese was extemely pleased with the turn out of people. According to Marchese, Information and Technology Studies took home the win.