Men’s Soccer shut out for second time in a row, falls to Army 2-0

Sophomore midfielder Serge Gamanwanya passes the ball in a game against Umass Lowell Sunday Oct. 16. He had two shots on goal against Army when the Seawolves lost SAMANTHA MONTES/THE STATESMAN
Sophomore midfielder Serge Gamwanya passes the ball in a game against UMass Lowell Sunday Oct. 16. He had two shots on goal against Army when the Seawolves lost 2-0. SAMANTHA MONTES/THE STATESMAN

The Stony Brook Men’s Soccer team was shut out for the second game in a row after a season-high 18 players took the field, losing 2-0 to Army West Point at Clinton Field in West Point, New York.

The Cadets set the tone early, scoring the game-winner just three minutes into the game when freshman forward Rex Epps buried a second rebound shot into the back of the net. Later on, Stony Brook redshirt junior goalkeeper Tom McMahon would make back-to-back saves, defending Cadets’ freshman midfielder Tyler Mitchiner’s shot and then saving senior forward Nick Williams’ shot off the rebound.

Army was in control of the first half, which was when the team did all of its damage to Stony Brook, outshooting Stony Brook, 10-7. The Seawolves did not possess the ball for long in the first half, as they were only able to string together several passes before turning the ball over.

The Cadets struck gold again in the 43rd minute of the game. Army senior defender Tanner Vosvick launched a free kick into the box which found the head of teammate junior forward Okheem Riley. He was able to place the ball to the right side netting to give the Cadets the 2-0 lead.

After halftime, Stony Brook looked like it could turn things around. The team began to play more aggressively, controlling the play and creating chances for themselves. Redshirt junior forward Dela Agboste ripped a shot on goal. However, the West Point defense was able to stop the ball on the goal line and clear it.

Despite being outshot 12-11 by the Cadets, the Seawolves were a more accurate team, as 10 of their 11 shots credited as shots on goal.

Stony Brook will have a few days off before resuming conference play. The team will take on the Albany Great Danes at Albany on Saturday, Oct. 22 at 7 p.m. Albany currently sits atop the America East Conference rankings with a 3-0-1 record.