Rough weekend for volleyball

This weekend was a tough one for the Stony Brook women’s volleyball team, who lost its second game in the Marriot Cavalier Classic in Charlottesville, V.A. this past Saturday, as well as its game against American University (Washington, D.C.) on Sunday.

The team dropped to 4-9 overall after losing to Towson University (Maryland), 3-1, on Saturday.

Although Stony Brook took the advantage several times during the first set, they fell to Towson, 28-26.

The Seawolves fought back in the second, winning 25-22 and holding Towson to a .139 hitting percentage.

Despite this success, however, they lost the final two sets 25-19 and 25-16, never coming within four points of the lead.

Hailee Herc (Eden, N.Y.), a freshman, had a game-high 19 digs, while senior Ashley Headen (Alexandria, V.A.) registered a game-high 14 kills and was named to the All-Tournament team.

Junior Kelsey Sullivan (Hamilton, V.A.) helped the offense with a record 35 assists.

In Sunday’s game against American, the Seawolves lost 3-0 (25-22, 25-13, 25-23), despite late surges in every set.

Junior Alicia Nelson (Apple Valley, M.N.) and Herc combined for 19 digs, and Stony Brook hit .333 in the first match.

Stony Brook plays its first game at home against Brown on Saturday, Sept. 25.

The Seawolves will begin conference play at Providence on Oct. 1.