Ahmad Walker arrested, suspended from Men’s Basketball team

Stony Brook Men's Basketball junior guard Ahmad Walker (center, above) led the Seawolves in assists with five against Farmingdale State. CHRISTOPHER CAMERON/THE STATESMAN
Ahmad Walker (center) during a game against Farmingdale State in November 2015. Walker was arrested on Sept. 10 for second-degree harassment and resisting arrest. CHRISTOPHER CAMERON/STATESMAN FILE

Ahmad Walker, a senior guard on the Stony Brook Men’s Basketball team, was arrested on Sept. 10 for second-degree harassment and resisting arrest, university officials told Newsday on Tuesday night.

Walker, a member of the 2016 America East All-Defensive team, has been suspended from the team and his name no longer appears on the team’s official roster.

According to an account from police chief Robert J. Lenahan, as told by Newsday, police officers were called to a campus dormitory at 2:30 a.m. on the date of the incident, a Saturday.

Walker and a woman, whose identity is unknown, were seen arguing when the officials arrived to the scene. When the officers sought to intervene, Walker — listed at 6-feet-4-inches and 190 pounds — shoved the woman, prompting his arrest. He was later released on his own recognizance.

Walker, a native of Port Washington, had an order of protection issued against him at arraignment, with his second court appearance scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 5.

Second-degree harassment is categorized as a violation, while resisting arrest is a misdemeanor.

A versatile player, Walker averaged 10.8 points, 6.8 rebounds and 4.2 assists in the 2015-16 season, all of which led Stony Brook players scheduled to return this season. Walker was often lauded for his defensive presence on the court for the Seawolves, with former head coach Steve Pikiell nicknaming him a “Swiss army knife” on multiple occasions.

The arrest is the third of a Stony Brook Men’s Basketball player in the last six months. On April 6, former forward Rayshaun McGrew and former guard DeShaun Thrower were arrested for third-degree grand larceny and third-degree criminal mischief, two felonies.