Stony Brook swept in three sets, falls to New Hampshire

optimized_brooks_eric-schmid
Sophomore middle blocker McKyla Brooks (No. 1, above) goes for a kill against American University during a game on September 16th, 2016. She recorded 10 kills against New Hampshire in Stony Brooks game against them on October 2nd. ERIC SCHMID/THE STATESMAN

Poor defense led to the seventh sweep loss of the season for Stony Brook Volleyball, as the team fell to New Hampshire, 25-19, 25-15, 25-22, on Sunday afternoon.

The Wildcats’ strong offense dictated the game, as did the Seawolves’ failure to block any opposing strikes. Stony Brook was out-blocked, 13-3, in the contest.

New Hampshire dominated the first two sets and did not let up any momentum. The Seawolves took a 16-11 lead in the third game, but a five-point Wildcats rally tied the score at 16-16 as the defending America East champions eventually completed the shutout.

New Hampshire’s front line seemed to be too tough of a challenge, as Stony Brook lost the hard fought set 25-22.

Wildcats freshman hitter Kennedi Smith led the match with 14.5 points, and tallied 11 kills and 4 blocks in another impressive game for New Hampshire this season after posting 17 kills against Northeastern on Sept. 20.

Sophomore middle hitter McKyla Brooks led the team with 11 points, 10 kills and two blocks.

Stony Brook’s assists leader this season, sophomore setter Morgan Kath, continued to put forth a good effort for her team, setting up her teammates a total of 27 times. She led the team with eight digs as well.

The rest of the Stony Brook attack was ineffective in the match, however. Freshman opposite-side hitter Maria Poole hit negative .286, while fellow freshmen Liz Pulver and Jordan Gels combined for seven kills and seven errors.

Stony Brook’s 32 digs were the lowest since a Sept. 2 match against Auburn. Kath was the only Seawolf with more than five in the match.

While the struggling Seawolves having lost seven of their last nine contests, head coach Coley Pawlikowski will look to get her players prime and ready for the remaining contests.

Conference play is still underway for the Seawolves, and there is still room for optimism for the team that has only played two road conference matches in the America East.

Stony Brook now awaits its next conference matchup at Pritchard Gymnasium against Binghamton on Friday, Oct. 7 and Albany on Sunday, Oct 9.