Jets, Giants face tough Week 2 matchups

(1-0) New England Patriots @ (0-1) New York Jets 4:15 PM (CBS)

The Jets face off this week against a familiar rival in Tom Brady and the New England Patriots.

Coming off a loss in which the offense managed only 6 first downs for the entire game, New York looks to defend their home turf against a division foe. To add to losing the game, the team lost nose tackle Kris Jenkins for the second straight year due to a knee injury, and star CB Darrelle Revis has been limited in practice this week.

On the other hand the Patriots come in rolling, with a healthy team and, more importantly, with a healthy Wes Welker, who caught 2 TD passes in their win against the Bengals.

For the Jets to win this week they need better performances from QB Mark Sanchez and RB Shonn Green. Sanchez, whose main responsibility is to “manage” the offense, managed them to a whopping 176 total yards, with only 60 of them coming through the air. Greene’s time as the primary running back came to an end rather quickly, as veteran LaDainian Tomlinson received a bulk of the carries in the loss. Greene will need to cut back on the fumbles if he wants to stay on the field and receive more than 5 carries this week. It should be an interesting game as Rex Ryan and the Jets look to avoid a 0-2 start that, after all the offseason hype, would be very disappointing.

(1-0) New York Giants @ (0-1) Indianapolis Colts 8:20 PM (NBC)

The Giants travel to Indianapolis for this week’s Sunday Night Game.

Eli looks to take down big brother Peyton for the first time in his career, turning what would be just an ordinary football game into an excuse for NBC to plug creepy Manning home videos before and after every commercial break.

The Giants are coming off a win against the Panthers while the Colts were upset by an upstart Texans team.

In the Giants win, Eli threw 3 TDs but was hampered by multiple tipped throws from his WRs that led to 3 interceptions. The main focus should be on the Giants secondary who will have to deal with an offense that had QB Peyton Manning attempt 57 passes. The Giants picked off the Panthers QB Matt Moore three times, giving him fits all game. The G-Men RBs are looking to have a  bounce-back game this week, Arian Foster of the Texans ran for 231 yards against an Indy defense that will be without Safety Bob Sanders indefinitely.

New York is also walking in wounded; TE Kevin Boss is out after suffering a concussion early in the Panthers game.

Even without Boss, the Giants offense played well in the win and look for that to continue against a soft Indianapolis defense. A win against a quality team like Indianapolis would solidify the Giants as legitimate contenders, catapulting them back into the NFC’s elite.