Ochi joins Jets practice squad following medical clearance

(HEATHER KHALIFA / THE STATESMAN)
Victor Ochi (No. 91, above) in a game against Bryant on Aug. 28, 2014. Ochi is now the second Stony Brook alum to sign with a New York area team in the NFL. HEATHER KHALIFA / STATESMAN FILE

Stony Brook Football’s all-time sacks leader Victor Ochi has signed to the New York Jets’ practice squad, according to Jared Fox, one of his agents.

This comes after the Jets announced that Ochi did not sign to their practice squad on Monday, Sept. 5, after reporting that he did the day before.

Newsday reported last week that the Jets did not sign Ochi after he failed a physical due to a shoulder injury.

Ochi cleared his latest physical and is fully healthy, according to Fox.

After his name was not called in the 2016 NFL Draft, the Valley Stream native became an undrafted free agent and was able to sign to any team that offered him a contract. The Baltimore Ravens picked up Ochi following the draft and attempted to convert the defensive end into an outside linebacker.

Ochi spent the preseason with the Ravens, tallying five tackles, two sacks and forcing a fumble. However, Ochi was a minor player on a team that featured veteran outside linebackers Elvis Dumervil and New York; the two have each been named to numerous Pro Bowls. The Ravens cut Ochi in the final round of roster cutdowns when they reduced their roster from 75 players to 53.

After signing to the Jets practice squad, Ochi has become the second Stony Brook alum to play in the New York City area. He joins Stony Brook alum Will Tye, a tight end for the New York Giants. Tye was signed as an undrafted free agent and led all rookie tight ends in receptions and yards after starting tight end Larry Donnell went down with a neck injury on Sunday, Nov. 1.

During his career at Stony Brook, Ochi amassed 32.5 sacks and a school-record 49 tackles-for-loss. He was also named an FCS All-American in 2015, his senior year for the Seawolves.

The Jets made their season debut on Sunday, Sept. 11 falling to the Cincinnati Bengals, 23-22. The Jets will face their division rivals the Buffalo Bills on Thursday, Sept. 15 at Buffalo.