UConn uses first-half surge to top Stony Brook

Stony Brook Women’s Soccer paced evenly with No. 17 UConn early in Sunday’s matchup in Storrs, Connecticut.

That all changed when UConn forward Rachel Hill scored a 32nd-minute goal. It only took the Huskies eight more minutes to expand their lead to 3-0. The final margin, 4-1, marked the Seawolves’ fifth defeat in eight games this season.

“We started the game well, but couldn’t finish chances within the first 15 to 20 minutes,” head coach Brendan Faherty said.

Huskies senior forward Stephanie Ribeiro scored the game’s second and third goals, her fifth and sixth of the season, respectively. The Seawolves failed to bounce back at the start of the second half, as UConn defender Annika Schmidt scored the game’s fourth goal within the first two minutes of the second half. UConn took 17 shots, eight of which were on goal, while only three of Stony Brook’s 10 attempts were on the mark.

Senior forward Raven Edwards, the leading goalscorer for the team last year, missed a shot that ricocheted off the post within the first 10 minutes of the game.

“They have to be able to get past frustration and move on to the next few games,” Faherty said about the team’s forwards.

On defense, the Seawolves struggled in coverage within their own zone, specifically failing to cover Ribeiro, the Huskies’ star.

“We definitely need to be better defensively within our own 18 [yard box],” Faherty said.

He is looking forward to practices on Tuesday and Wednesday, where he hopes that the team will regain confidence and continue to work on its flaws.

The starting goalkeeper of the game, sophomore Cara Gallagher, had a decent showing before letting up three goals in just under eight minutes. She finished the half with five saves.

Although junior goalkeeper Shannon Robinson came into the game in the second half and put on a decent performance herself, as the Seawolves continue their goalkeeper-by-committee gameplan, Faherty made a point in saying, “Neither goalie had a direct impact on the outcome of the game.”

Stony Brook may have failed to contain UConn halfway through the first half but showed some poise in the remainder of the game, outshooting UConn 7-5 in the second half. Senior forward Lindsay Hutchinson scored the Seawolves’ only goal in the 60th minute, assisted by Edwards. Hutchinson and Edwards are part of a strong senior core that is looking forward to turning things around for the remainder of the season.

The Seawolves kick off a two-game home stretch this Friday and Sunday when they host Delaware and Wagner, respectively.