Early goal makes difference in Women’s Soccer loss to Brown

An early morning game at Stevenson-Pincince Field became a defensive duel when Stony Brook Women’s Soccer visited Brown University on Sunday.

A corner kick that set up a header from Brown’s freshman midfielder Abby Carchio in the 31st minute gave her team the only goal it required. Despite bottling up the opposing team’s attack for most of the game, the Seawolves’ efforts fell short and the team fell to the Bears 1-0. Stony Brook’s overall record falls to 1-4-1 on the season.

In spite of the loss, the Seawolves defense battled throughout the entire game. The team was able to disrupt the Bears attack, rarely allowing them to get clear looks at the goal.

Sophomore goalkeeper Cara Gallagher played well once again. Carchio’s header was her only blemish. But it could be dismissed after her sharp play in the last two games since being promoted to starter; Carchio’s goal was the first and only goal she has allowed in that span.

While the team played well defensively, its offense was unable to find the back of the net. The Seawolves managed four shots on goal, just as the Bears did. The difference is that the Bears were able to capitalize on an opportunity when the Seawolves could not.

Stony Brook’s greatest chance to score came in the 55th minute. Senior forward Raven Edwards caught a rebound of Brown’s goalkeeper from five yards out. Her shot attempt rang off the cross bar.

Edwards’ shot was just inches away while Brown’s corner kick header to Carchio was just placed in the perfect position, demonstrating that soccer is a game of inches.

Stony Brook ends their road trip losing two of three games. The team will head home and prepare to host Columbia University next Friday.