Now I’m in Class, Where do I go to Study?

As an incoming freshman you might think of walking into Stony Brook’s library with one thing on your mind—an intense study session without any distractions. But unless you’re prepared to wait 15 to 20 minutes for a computer or empty table, you’re out of luck.

Though the Frank Melville Jr. Memorial Library is filled with great places to study—such as the Commuter’s Lounge and several computer classrooms, or SINC sites—these places are often packed during midterms and finals.

Finding the perfect place to study can be a challenge depending on your studying habits. While some prefer a quiet space, others easily tune out the hustle and bustle of campus life with a simple iPod or mp3 player.

For these students the campus Starbucks is perfect. Located on the second floor of the Stony Brook Union, Starbucks provides a lively environment with cozy couches and spacious tables to work on. Starbucks is perfect for the student who likes to snack or down coffee while studying since there are no food or cell phone regulations. It can get awfully crowded and loud during the afternoon rush, but the traffic and noise often calms down towards the night and on weekends.

However, for the students who need a quieter environment to study, the Social and Behavioral Sciences Building, or SBS, may be perfect. Tucked away in the far corner of campus, few people who don’t have classes in the building are actually willing to take the hike there. With spacious lounges and no food or cell phone regulations, the SBS lounges provide the same freedom as Starbucks, but with much less noise.

For the super-serious studier, select rooms and areas in the Melville library are still the best bet. With strict regulations over food and electronics, the library provides a better environment for those who find it difficult to resist veering off course every five minutes. One of your best bets for an empty table remains on the third floor in Main Stacks. Tables surrounded by endless rows of books provide for the perfect study haven, especially if you’re writing a lengthy research paper.

The truth is that there are gold mines located all over Stony Brook campus when it comes to studying. For some, the simply furnished penthouses in the dormitories will do the trick. For others, lounges in the Student Activities Center or Wang Center may be a better fit. It may take a few attempts, but taking the time to find your own study heaven will be well worth it once the A’s start rolling in!