Faherty’s first: New Women’s Soccer coach finally wins at Fairfield

If the Seawolves will return to their 2012 America East Championship glory, they will rely on increased offensive output from the likes of Raven Edwards, above.
Raven Edwards (No. 7, center) carries the ball through midfield in a game during the 2014-15 season. EFAL SAYED/STATESMAN FILE

After an 0-3-1 start to the season, Stony Brook Women’s Soccer coach Brendan Faherty changed things up entering the team’s match against Fairfield at Lessing Field on Friday. He called on sophomore Cara Gallagher to start at goalkeeper ahead of junior Shannon Robinson.

In her first start of the season, Gallagher deflected all ten of the shots sent her way by the Stags attack. Gallagher’s shutout accompanied by goals from senior forward Raven Edwards and sophomore forward Julie Johnstonbaugh helped the Seawolves achieve the 2-0 victory.

The team’s first win of the season comes after it was outscored 9-1 in the first four games of the season. Robinson had allowed 2.25 goals per game. Gallagher provided the stability in goal that the team was looking for.

With Gallagher’s stellar play in goal, the Seawolves never trailed the Stags, allowing them to concentrate on executing their attack.

Johnstonbaugh got things started for the Seawolves offense, scoring the game’s first goal in the 22nd minute, her first of the season. Johnstonbaugh’s goal was the first goal scored in the season by a player other than Raven Edwards. Fittingly, Edwards followed suit by scoring her second goal of the season in the 73rd minute.

Despite winning by a two-goal margin, Fairfield outshot Stony Brook 18 to 14 and 10 to 6 in shots on goal. Gallagher was the difference in this game. Fairfield had more scoring opportunities but could not figure out how to get the ball past her, while Stony Brook made the most of the minimal opportunities they had.

The Seawolves played well on both sides of the ball. They demonstrated an ability to capitalize on the attack, frustrate the opposing offense and protect the goal. This is the team’s first shutout of the season in addition to being the first two-goal game of the season.

The team will look to translate its improved play to its third game of the week when its takes on Brown this Sunday at 11 a.m. in Providence, Rhode Island.