Aetna Returns to Stony Brook

Stony Brook University Medical Center and Aetna have agreed on a new contract, ending the month long stalemate between the two organizations and restoring the hospital as an in-network provider.

The agreement was made on March 17, after the original contract expired on Feb. 15.

“We could not rest until this negotiation was concluded and I am extremely gratified that we have been able to reach this agreement, restoring access to Stony Brook University Medical Center and its many services unique in Suffolk County to Aetna’s members,” said Steven L. Strongwater, chief executive officer of the hospital in a statement.

Aetna provides approximately 4,500 students with health insurance through the Student Health Insurance Plan, known as SHIP.

When the original contract expired on Feb. 15, Aetna and the hospital included a stipulation that SHIP benefits would not be affected until Aug. 16, 2010, at which time the university would have had to implement another student plan.  The stipulation considered the hospital in-network for members of SHIP.

According to Lauren Sheprow, a university spokesperson, SHIP benefits were a substantial factor in the previous negotiations.

The new contract expires April 30, 2011.