Bud Light School Pride?

Bud Light,’ a popular drink of choice for many college students, has changed its colors.

A new promotional campaign representing the many different color schemes of colleges around the United States has been the topic of conversation among administrators and students.

Anheuser-Busch, the maker of Bud Light, displays the beer cans as the background accessory to the ‘ultimate’ tailgating party outside your ‘favorite’ college’s football stadium. But the Bud Light cans sporting school pride have been anything but a background topic of conversation on university campuses.

??Many alumni, administrators, and faculty are appalled at the idea of using school pride to promote drinking on, or around college students, especially where more than half of most undergraduate classes are underage. Some college students see the Bud Light school pride cans as a blatant marketing strategy to sell more of their light beer.

Whether students are underage, or legally allowed to drink, many are immersed in the college drinking scene.

Kurt Zisa , a graduate student at N.Y.I.T. in Manhattan admitted, ‘college equals drinking, and drinking equals college.’ He then elaborated, saying he did not feel the Bud Light school cans were a ‘big deal.’ ‘It’s [clearly] just promoting for Budweiser. Their [college students] are going to get that beer anyway’hellip;they may as well get their school colors,’ Zisa said.??

An undergraduate student at Stony Brook University, who wished to remain anonymous, for fear of promoting underage drinking, put it this way, ‘it is the students that choose to drink alcohol underage, not Bud Light.’

The Director of the National Red Watch Movement, Lara Hunter, said at a Red Watch Band press conference on Wednesday, ‘Students are onto their marketing. But that doesn’t mean that those messages are not internalized’hellip;to consume more alcohol.’

The Bud Light school pride beer cans prey on gaining brand loyalty through student’s college attendence.

By bringing in a smattering of colors, the infamous beer company can eliminate competition from the numerous other light beers that one could find in any dormitory.

As a result of the media frenzy caused by protests from the Red Watch Band, and other outraged organizations aimed at preventing alcohol consumption from being the number one cause of death amongst college students in America. Anheuser-Busch has since come out and said that they will not place the cans in any community where schools have complained.