Roth Pond Receives Makeover

A lot has changed for Roth Pond, a memorable Stony Brook landmark, which features the annual Roth Pond Regatta.  The university decided to replace the liner of the pond this summer ,following a deep winter freeze that possibly contributed to the death of the pond’s fish last year.

Penetrations in the pipe, the pond’s vegetation, and age caused breaks in the liner, which led the pond to drain, according to John Sparano, director of Residential Operations,  Then, during winter, the water froze, affecting the fish. After the pond was drained in June, Sparano said the pond was excavated and its topography was leveled.  The fill and overflow lines, aerator, and the new liner were then installed.  Filling the pond was the final step.

Anastasia Zannettis, the advisor for the Undergraduate College Science and Society, who also has an office at the Science and Society Center overseeing Roth Quad, said she was happy to know that the construction was over and the pond was open before school started.

“They said it would be done and it’s done,” Zannettis said.

No one could have guessed that in the 1960s, the pond was designed to hold water from the air conditioning systems of Roth cafeteria.

Cheryl Chi, a freshman from Tabler Quad, heard that the pond was drained over the summer.

“I’m happy it’s filled with water,” Chi said.

Another student, Aksat Puri, a freshman, from H-Quad thought the pond would be bigger after watching videos of the Roth Pond Regatta.

The students are interested to see how it is possible to sail the cardboard and duct tape boats across the pond in the spring.

High school juniors John Orlowski and Fred Shuffington, from Stony Brook and East Setauket, have been visiting Roth Pond at least twice a week for the past three years.

According to Orlowski, the renovations were definitely an improvement because the water looked clearer and cleaner.

Zannettis, in addition to advising, teaches the freshman seminars.  She was very pleased with the pond’s outcome.

“The minute the water came back, the geese came back!”